"the effect of music on the human psychology" - St. Olaf Essay

vspinner 2 / 2  
Question: During Interim, St. Olaf students pursue a single course, often of an interdisciplinary nature. If you could design your own Interim course today, what would it be?

If I could design my own Interim course, it would examine the effect of music on the human psychology. Why would such random noises bear little effect on the human while music influences him so greatly? My interest in this began when I heard the story of Pythagoras altering moods with different music. He was said to be able to bring about desired moods, thoughts and ideas just from a certain type of music. This idea sparked an interest in me, because I often find that music affects me in similar ways. I propose to explore the different types of reactions that human's exhibit in response to a wide variety of musical genres. I would combine scientific, philosophical, and musical aspects of this phenomenon into my research to better understand what gives it truth.

It is undoubtedly certain that music has physicality to it. To better illustrate this, I think of what I would see at an orchestra hall: stationary, interested and quiet people. On the other hand, I think of what I would observe at a rock concert: loud, agitated and moving people having fun dancing. In this study, I would test a variety of different people's physical reactions including, heart rate, skin conductivity and brain activity. This would allow me to better understand how the body reacts to music, and understand why I am so affected by it.

I would also look at the philosophical or humanistic aspect of music. I like to believe that there is more to music than just its physical reactions. I would research this by studying philosophical text that analyze the power of music, and also interview people of today about on what music means to them. I have always been fascinated by others' take on music, and this would also give me an opportunity to answer one of my most intriguing questions. What makes music a spark for the soul?

Lastly, I would endeavor to answer what musical aspects have a bearing on humanity. I have always questioned what makes a diminished chord inspire fear, or a major chord so awe inspiring. Is it because it had a special resonance with the soul, or is it just the math behind the tones? I would attempt to answer this by studying the effects on humans. This research could help further one's understanding of music and even of oneself. I would find this work intellectually engaging, because of my personal experience with it. I would be able to satiate my thirst for knowledge in many fields, such as classics, music and physical science while positively contributing to understanding others. This intermin course would help me better understand many things, including myself.
It is good to use various instead of different:
...to explore the different various types of reactions that ...

Be bold:
I like to believe that t There is more to music than just its physical (reactions) is reactions the right word here? I think you mean to refer to 'physical effects on the person.'

...endeavor to answer what musical aspects have a bearing on humanity. ---all this is very abstract and philosophical. How about balancing it with some pragmatic goals? Goals related to intercultural tolerance, for example.

:-)

Home / Undergraduate / "the effect of music on the human psychology" - St. Olaf Essay