What is an effective life?

sinojisak02 1 / -  

A QUESTION OF LIFE

Having never had a profound sense of how life should function until I read Stephen R. Covey's book "An effective life", which raised me a question "What is an effective life?". According to some experts, having effective life is to live productively, to be happy in what we are doing, and to obtain what we desire. In a little more detail, there are three crucial aspects that contribute to the definition of an effective life: work-study balance, mental-physical health, and relationships.

First of all, it is worth noting that working and learning are two vital aspects leading to an effective life. However, they impose stress and difficulty on people's life such as work schedules, peer pressure, etc. As a result, people must strike a balance between their work and play, activities, and rest in their daily lives. Only by both completing the needed work-study tasks and spending free time relaxing can we feel our life productive.

Secondly, mental-physical health plays an important role in forming an effective life. In terms of health, our spirits need to be lifted and our physical health has to be cared for so that we can enjoy our life to the fullest. In addition, mental health influences how one thinks and behaves, therefore, it determines whether or not her day will be productive. A productive day occurs when we are intellectually and physically fit, allowing us to perfectly finish tasks and bravely take on new challenges.

Last but not least, when it comes to establishing an efficient life, the relationship is fundamental. "A good life is built with good relationships" and "Good relationships keep us happier and healthier," said Robert Waldinger, a psychiatrist. It turns out people who are more socially connected to family, friends, community are living more effectively than people who are not.

Indeed, effective life is when people live their lives in the way they want, but needs to follow a set of standards. To sum up, effective life has no fixed definition but it should be attached to three main factors listed.
The essay does not make its intention clear to the reader. Is the point to define an effective life based on a personal perception? Or, will it be analyzed lbased on scientific research? Why is this discussion important to present? The focus and thesis statement could use more development for clarity purposes. The first paragraph is the basis of the succeeding presentation so this has to be the best developed aspect of the discussion presentation.

So, if the first part of the paper is based an authors definition, and the last part comes from a psychiatrist's definition, where does your personal opinion come in? It appears to be the missing link between the 2 discussion points.

Home / Undergraduate / What is an effective life?