"effective ways of delivering my message" - ApplyTexas Essay B - Issue of Importance.

tropicalfish 3 / 2  
I wasn't entirely sure what to write for this one... I don't have a "favorite" issue of importance.

After writing this one and receiving input from a few friends, I've considered rewriting it, but am not sure how. I considered even possibly changing the subject, to maybe something like airport security and the TSA.

Suggestions, please! Thanks.

Choose an issue of importance to you-the issue could be personal, school related, local, political, or international in scope-and write an essay in which you explain the significance of that issue to yourself, your family, your community, or your generation.

Living in the United States, we are gifted with the privilege of the freedom of speech, a freedom that has been bought to us by the sacrifices of soldiers protecting the country. We take our ability to say anything on our mind for granted without fearing persecution, unlike other countries such as North Korea, China, or Sudan. We're able to protest against issues that we disagree with and share our beliefs, ideas, and thoughts with the people around us without violating the law.

I've always been taught since I was young not to say anything that would offend others. The words of my mouth were supposed to build people up and help them. "If you have nothing nice to say, then don't say anything at all" was something that rang in my mind often times during elementary school. In high school, we, as students, are held to certain expectations of respect in the way we behave and the way we speak.

However, I've often encountered people or organizations that seemingly take their freedom of speech for granted and do not consider the ill effects of their words on others when broadcasting their beliefs or ideas to the world. People will often spread false rumors and gossip about other people without considering any negative long term effects. They also try to insult others by putting down their beliefs and thoughts. Especially with the anonymity provided by mediums such as the Internet, people will say things they wouldn't otherwise say in-person without regard to the consequences that may result.

Westboro Baptist Church, of Topeka, Kansas, has very frequently come under fire for picketing the funerals of deceased soldiers with signs containing hateful words, such as, "God Hates Soldiers," or "God Hates Your Tears." Their signs also target many minority groups and other "unique" people. They are ignorant to the effects that they have on people who have lost loved ones while serving in the armed forces. In their lawsuits, they argue that they are protected by the First Amendment right to freedom of speech. What's more, they take advantage of police protection during protests while shouting hateful attacks at pedestrians and other people passing by.

While neither I, nor anyone else, have fallen lower than the people of Westboro, I have been guilty of being unkind with my words. I have often said things that I looked back at as being disrespectful or unnecessary. I have realized that there are more effective ways of delivering my message. I believe that even though I can say what I want, I should control what I say so that it serves my best interests as well as those of others. I believe that even though we are given this right to freedom of speech, we should exercise it in moderation. Instead of expressing our thoughts in ways that will hurt or insult others, we should express our thoughts in ways that will convey what we believe while lifting others up.
andygu 6 / 14  
Living in the United States, we are gifted with the privilege of the freedom of speech, a freedom that has been br ought to us by the sacrifices of soldiers protecting the country.

We take our ability to say anything on our mind for granted without fearing persecution, unlike other countries such as North Korea, China , [b](Hey, China is my home country and it's not so horrible as you think!)b]or Sudan

I really think you should change your topic, because the thesis seems blurred.
The freedom, the optimism or the American Dream. Maybe you can not realize how speical is your country unless you campare her with other nations. Furthermore, just stick to your specific topic and do not try to talk comprehensively, or your thought will be superficial

Good luck!
tany_h 1 / 1  
We're able to protest against issues that we disagree with and share our beliefs, ideas, and thoughts with the people around us without violating the law.

I've always been taught since I was young not to say anything that would offend others.

However, I've often encountered people or organizations that seemingly take their freedom of speech for granted and do not consider the ill effects of their words on others when broadcasting their beliefs or ideas to the world.

Especially with the anonymity provided by mediums such as the Internet, people will say things they wouldn't otherwise say in-person without regard to the consequences that may result.

What's more, they take advantage of police protection during protests while shouting hateful attacks at pedestrians and other people passing by.

I would suggest you avoid the apostrophes in these, I used to take a college English class and my professor was always bugging people about the "you're", "I've" etc. I think changing them would give your paper a more erudite look.

Home / Undergraduate / "effective ways of delivering my message" - ApplyTexas Essay B - Issue of Importance.