'an elderly man singing' - Emory Supplement

yee 6 / 39  
I'm not a great writer. I am often more confusing than clear. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Many students decide to apply to Emory University based on our size, location, reputation, and yes, the weather. Besides these valid reasons as a possible college choice, why is Emory University a particularly good match for you?

Reading through countless brochures and meticulously analyzing Wikipedia entries for 'Emory University' left me unsatisfied. I already knew Emory was a ranked university with a fantastic business program and a location to die for. So what? This mold could fit ten or even twenty other undergraduate institutions across America. I remained hopeless until I fatefully stumbled upon twelve words that transformed my narrow view of Emory into a vast vision of opportunity.

You probably know these twelve words by heart: "To create, preserve, teach and apply knowledge in the service of humanity." This is the heartfelt mission statement that differentiates Emory from the rest. Moreover, this is the aspect of Emory that fits me in the same way black fits Dooley. Ever since sophomore year, I have been absolutely infatuated with the field of psychology; there is simply no other way to put it. Whether it is counseling adults twice my age via phone or teaching Taehwan (a teenager with Asperger's Syndrome) how to greet fellow peers, I have always been grateful for the chance to be a light in the lives of others. For the past two years, I have applied my knowledge the best I can, but there is still a lot of room for improvement. So, there would be no better place to improve and excel in my service to humanity than a university that prides itself on 'creating, preserving, teaching and applying knowledge in the service of humanity.' (I apologize for the slight tense change.)

Look, I enjoy nothing more than hearing an elderly man sing 'Good Rockin' Night' after a nice long talk on the phone...so, why stop now?
luv4evr 9 / 8  
Hey!
I think it is a good essay that clearly shows why you are applying to Emory.
but you might want to revise the first paragraph. you could say less about 'Emory that everyone knows' and say more about your passion and goal.
OP yee 6 / 39  
Thank you! Any other suggestions??
I already knew Emory was a high ranking university with a fantastic business program and a location to die for.

I remained undecided until I fatefully stumbled upon twelve words that transformed my narrow view of Emory into a vast vision of opportunity.

So, there would be no better place to improve and excel in my service to humanity than at a university that prides itself on 'creating, preserving, teaching and applying knowledge in the service of humanity.'

:)

Kevin
OP yee 6 / 39  
Hey guys!
I just had a quick question for you 09 applicants or others. Is Sociology/AP Psychology considered core academic subjects? B/C I got my recommendations from a teacher in that subject area. Thank you!! Sorry for being irrelevant EF Team, but I feel like this is the right place to ask :)
zowzow 10 / 175  
I don't study in America so I'm not sure but isn't core subjects like maths english science language etc?
OP yee 6 / 39  
yeah, social studies and social sciences...but thanks anyways!

Home / Undergraduate / 'an elderly man singing' - Emory Supplement