From electrical to Industrial - my SOP for review

Maddy2291 1 / -  
Guys please review my SOP and give your Valuable suggestions. Thank You

The world is evolving and improvising perpetually. This has certainly led to an increase in Technical convolution, competitive forces and a dire need to optimize processes and provide solutions to growing worlds' concerns. With the help of Industrial Engineering, complex decision making processes can be made relatively easy by incorporating processes with technology. Since childhood I have been awed by the miracles of science. Providing alternate solutions and optimizing processes have always fascinated me. During my eighth grade, I demonstrated a model of an energy efficient town in my school's Science exhibition. I was able to demonstrate that utilizing solar, wind, biogas and other forms of energy collectively; one could easily optimize the energy needs. Securing 100% in Mathematics in my tenth grade and standing among the top five performers in twelfth grade in my school, a degree in engineering was the logical career choice.

I chose to pursue my bachelors in Electrical Engineering from the***************************, India. Ever since I joined the department, I have been focused on my academics which culminated in my high CGPA, and a rank of First in the department (out of 75 students). I received numerous awards and scholarships due to my brilliant academic record. I was honored with a Gold medal at the Junior and Senior year for securing the highest CPI (Cumulative Point Index) in my Department. Also, through campus selection I was able to grab the most sought after job at ********. I received the prestigious best "Graduate Engineering Trainee" award for my efforts.

Apart from academics, I have also been pivotal in cultural field. Cadres such as a House captain in my high school and a Manager at Sports Event held at college have aided me in getting experience in Leadership and team management.

During my sophomore year, I was introduced to the concept of Industrial Engineering on account of an industrial visit to Atlanta Transformers. During this trip, I witnessed some simple yet effective tools of process optimization. They had developed an in-house tool for easy identification, location and determining the exact quantity of materials required for a particular rating of a Transformer. To further augment my knowledge on Industrial front, I took a course in Fundamentals in Quality Management during my fourth semester as an elective. I received a deep insight in Total Quality Management (TQM), Statistical Process Control, Quality System Standards, Six Sigma and Kaizen. As an auditor, I paid a visit to Elecon Engineering Company Ltd. to determine the functioning and quality management. Keen on optimizing electrical appliances, I completed a project on "Designing and Manufacturing Microcontroller Based Energy Meter" in my Senior year. After extensive research, I decided to use quasi-synchronous sampling algorithm and was able to manufacture a prototype for an economical budget of 400 Rupees which is 50% less than the price of a commercial energy meter. I was able to achieve a precision of 0.001% as well.

Currently working as an Engineering Manager for************************ which is the world's largest grassroot petroleum refinery, I underwent rigorous training on the operations of a Coker unit to get an in-depth understanding of the plant. At *******, I realized the seminal concepts of Process Optimization, Supply Chain Management, Inventory control and Cost Estimation. My first project as a trainee was "Reliability Improvement in 6.6KV substation." Heating was an issue in substation that led to numerous failures and frequent spurious tripping of critical pumps in the plant. I provided two suggestions - Reducing the control supply voltage level through transformers (zero cost) and replacing specific latch unlatch contactors with higher rating to increase reliability. Both the recommendations were approved by higher management and were applied in the entire refinery. A downfall of 63% in the rate of tripping was observed since then.

It was not until last year December that sparks of pursuing Industrial Engineering took shape of an Inferno. Captive Power Plant of Domestic Tariff Area (DTA) in our refinery had an issue regarding overhauling of a Gas Turbine. Experts from vendor - General Electric were asked to visit the site and provide necessary solutions. Mr Matthews, an Industrial Graduate with an undergrad degree of Electrical Engg paid visit. He demonstrated the phenomenal qualities an Industry expert should have. Interaction with him opened the gates of my conscience and I became passionate about pursuing Industrial Engg.

The combine applications of technology and management have always allured me. Studying in that direction and working with the magnates of that field is my sole objective. During my second year at **********, I was transferred to the Fluidized Catalytic Cracker unit and promoted as an Engineering Manager. I was given the responsibility to prepare plant budget. This enhanced my knowledge in Cost Estimation. I also realized that many of the resources were being duplicated because various plants had the same item with different labels. I undertook an initiative of reducing the inventory level. I discovered that at least 2 million Rupees worth of items were duplicated and in surplus. I generalized those items for entire refinery thus reducing Plant Inventory and Budget. I also realized that a significant amount of time was wasted in searching the appropriate material from SAP (Systems, Applications, Products) because of the short description feature. To save time and make the process more efficient, I provided a suggestion of tagging a picture of respective material with its SAP ID. Being an associate planner of two major shutdowns, I gained commendable insight in Supply Chain Management while procuring spares from local and foreign vendors.

My thirst for undergoing a graduate course in Industrial Engineering has multiplied during my tenure at ****************. An in-depth experience of working within the refinery industry has helped me gain immensely on the Operational and the people front. I believe my undergraduate engineering background and significant professional experience for the last twenty eight months have perfected me to pursue M.S in Industrial Engineering at your prestigious University. Impressive infrastructure and research facilities at TAMU coupled with host of eminent professors in faculty will provide me a platform where I can hone my skills and gain knowledge. The multicultural and diverse classroom is an ideal platform for gaining knowledge on economic and business models that impact industries and business decisions. Research areas like Operations Research and Management & decision analysis provided by your institute is what I am looking for. The research specialization of Professor Guy Curry in the development of analytical and simulation tools for the evaluation of semiconductor manufacturing and packaging systems resonates with my interests. Upon completion of this degree, I hope to be better prepared to contribute to the research of the Department as well as _________________.
Mohammed, you have to understand that when you apply for higher learning, more weight is given to your professional experience instead of your high school and academic accomplishments or participation. All of the masters degree schools understand that you have graduated from a college major related to your field of work so they don't really need to rehash you childhood dreams and high school aspirations. What interests them is your potential for a future in your current field of work. That said, I will have to tell you that your essay presents too much irrelevant information about your past that is not really helpful to your application. Consider answering only 4 important questions in relation to your application:

1. What is your current field of work?
2. What is your reason for applying for higher studies?
3. Do you have any current training or seminars to speak of that relate to your potential to succeed in more advanced fields of work and study in this area? (This takes th e place of your high school dreams and ambitions and college academic experience.) Mention your college education very briefly in relation to the seminars you have attended and other training you have received.

4. Reveal your short and long term goals in terms of your career advancement and how becoming an expert in this field will be of great service to you in achieving those plans.

As you can see, you can actually take portions of your essay and use it to answer these questions. Just concentrate on making sure that you answer these 4 basic and most important questions in your essay and the SOP will be just fine :-)

Home / Undergraduate / From electrical to Industrial - my SOP for review