'electromagnetism and electronics' - Pratt Engineering

leviator 7 / 39  
If you are applying to the Pratt School of Engineering, please discuss why you want to study engineering and why you would like to study at Duke.

I have always been a curious kid, with an unquenchable thirst to get to the bottom of things, and the enigmatic universe has only further aggravated my curiosity. Maybe that was what drove me to science, ever since I was little. I remember, as a girl of 10, taking my computer apart, because I wanted to see those 'insect-like things' inside. In high school, my interest in physics, mathematics and computer programming grew, along with my love for machines and awed respect for the developing technologies. As I delved deeper into the sciences, I realized how they were so relevant to our lives, not just in terms of understanding the universe, but understanding the principles of life itself. Physics, to me, is the science of life; it amazes me to see how the fundamental laws, such as Newton's laws, and the law of conservation of energy, apply to human behavior as well; Chemistry is the executioner, dissecting and understanding the details of life at the minute level, and mathematics serves as the tool to understand the extent of permeability of the these two in our lives. The beauty and interconnectivity of science is truly scintillating.

Studying the basics of electromagnetism and electronics has made me realize that it is in that field that my interest lies. Semiconductors, transistors, IC's: the intricacy and perfection with which these devices are developed, and the way they have become indispensable to mankind in such a short time, amazes, and in a childish way, excites me. There is so much to discover, and for me, engineering is the gateway to understanding how the world and our systems function. Engineers, with their creativity, skill and application of science, and analytical and logical thinking, create technology. I am a believer in technology and its power to redefine our lives. I want to create technology.

Pratt school of engineering at Duke, with its multitude of research centers and groups, would enable me to conduct research in the field of electronics and system design under the guidance of world class faculty. In pursuit of a more wholesome education, I would like to double major in electrical engineering and economics, so as to cater better to the needs of mankind. The CEINT holds a special appeal, for some day, I hope to further specialize in nanotechnology, a field with tremendous scope in electronics, medicine and energy production, and minimize its cost and cons, especially those related to the environment. What appeals to me most about Duke, however, is the warmth it reflects, the strong rapport its students and faculty share, and the way it hones its students into individuals who think big, think smart and make a difference in the world.
ZhoeK 5 / 173  
Some of your sentences were kind of run-on, so you might want to be more concise. Other than that your essay was extremely well written and the first two paragraphs clear state why you want to study engineering. You concluding or 'why Duke' paragraph was also well written, but is generic at some points. You have made specific reference to programs at Duke so I think it'll be okay though. Good essay. Focus more on the why Duke part and you'll have an excellent essay.

Hope this helps!
Ravenclaw_roar 4 / 38  
Hey I really like the first 2 para, but I think that you should be more specific in the "Why Duke" part. Maybe you can cut some parts out from the why you love engineering part so that you can focus a bit more on Duke. Like Zhoe said, it does seem a bit generic at times. Rmb to state some specific program or courses that appeal to you! Other than that, it's a good essay. Thanks for your help with mine those were really useful suggestions!

Home / Undergraduate / 'electromagnetism and electronics' - Pratt Engineering