'the emergency room visits' - Common APP essay on Healthcare.

Velth 1 / 1  
Prompt: Discuss some issue of personal, local, national, or international concern and its importance to you. 250-500 words

Before you read this. I need your advice if I should drop this essay, or I can salvage it. I didn't list any importances yet because I'm wondering if I can still make this a worthy essay. Thank you, I appreciate it.

With the increase of everyday injuries, the emergency room visits that we witness today has increased tenfold in the past decade. Doctors and nurses have their hands full as the number of patients with serious conditions has increased. These patients that have been rushed to the hospital after neglecting their health issues for years are, alas, forced to pay much more than they would have if they had tended to their well-being sooner. Consequently, they end up costing themselves and the government more money. Health insurance becomes more expensive, taxes go up, and as a result such incidences increase. It is a vicious cycle that affects many.

The most important medical issue that needs to be addressed in the U.S. health care system is the fact that there are millions of uninsured people. This lack of coverage is the root cause of a ballooning cycle of wasted dollars as patients wait until emergencies to see physicians and receive far costlier care. An excellent solution to this issue would be Universal health coverage, as it ensures the overall health of an individual before an issue becomes enough of a problem to require major medical treatment.

Health care delivery currently leads to wasteful emergency room tests and treatments which raise the cost of care, inflate the price of premiums, and ultimately increase the rolls of the uninsured. The uninsured, having lost access to primary care and no longer kept apprised of developing problems proceed to tax the system further as they seek care at times of emergencies .Keeping a patient informed of his cholesterol levels would be fairly inexpensive and far healthier for the patient as opposed to seeking emergency treatment for a heart attack.

An additional matter in which the current system will fail to provide adequate coverage is reflected in a current practice of excluding high risk patients. As genetic testing for certain disorders becomes a simple enough procedure to become routine, it should be expected to promote health, not prevent its attainment. However, knowing that you are at risk for a particular disease will nearly ensure that you will not be allowed to purchase insurance covering the organ system at risk. Studies in the Journal of the American Medical Association have shown that patients at risk of breast cancer often decline testing to avoid higher insurance premiums. This should not be an issue and the fact that it will soon be a common one strongly suggests that the current system needs to change in a fundamental manner.
asburyceline 5 / 12  
its a good essay but you should express more on how health care influenced you or maybe a family member that had an impact on you that lead you to write about change in health care.

other than that it's very well written good luck! :)
OP Velth 1 / 1  
Thank you! I lost hope in my essay. I didn't know if I should have continued writing it, but you gave me hope!

Home / Undergraduate / 'the emergency room visits' - Common APP essay on Healthcare.