Emerson College Storytelling prompt - what would you title your story and why?

anne1875 1 / -  
I'm worried that my response is a little too vague for the prompt. Any advice on how to improve would be appreciated!

Prompt: Much of the work that students do at Emerson College is a form of storytelling. If you were to write the story of your life until now, what would you title it and why? (100-200 words)

the Invisible Ink

Half of my writing process is watching the black line of a cursor blink rhythmically back at me against the screen of a pristine word document. It lies in wait, in silent judgment, and reminds me that every time I put pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard) I am continuing a never-ending process.

The editing process is breath, not death, I often remind myself. A heavy hand of procrastination is a necessary ingredient in any unfinished work, and I mark each of mine with the stain of my lengthy deliberation. My pause is palpable; it is who I am.

The story I write for myself must include the stories inside of me, and my life-long penchant for the written word. It lies in the margins of my unfinished work, in between the white spaces of typed words and on the untouched word documents that lie collecting figurative dust. I exist between the spaces that my words make, underneath, above and all around what I create.

My story? It is the Invisible Ink, my influence that exists just beneath the visible, painting and shaping the fact and fiction that I carefully pen, or the words that lie silent, tucked away and waiting for eventual exposure.
Hi Annette. Yes, you are most certainly correct, your response is too vague to be considered a story about your life. What you wrote is, in my opinion, more of a freestyle poetry than a short story. The first part doesn't really talk about your life until now and the end, doesn't do it either. So the essay doesn't work in the way that you intended it to. However, there is something good that came out of this essay.

One of the best parts of your work is the last paragraph. The part where you say "My story? It is the Invisible Ink..." It is eye catching and intriguing. You may want to open your revised essay with that paragraph instead. It really sets the tone for the rest of the narrative and gives the reader an insight into what story you are going to be telling. You can really use that as a very strong jumping off point for your revised life story.

Try not to be so vague next time. I know you want to show off your creative mind but you have to remember that this is a formal interview. So, while you are being given creative freedom to represent your response, you still need to give specific and direct information regarding your life in an intriguing and interesting manner. Don't be too imaginative because you could easily lose the interest of the reviewer if he feels frustrated because you did not really offer him useful information in your text. I, for one, did not learn anything about who you are, how you came to be, and where you are in life right now from your first writing. It is so vague that the representation of your response seems to have become non-existent.

Home / Undergraduate / Emerson College Storytelling prompt - what would you title your story and why?