How can emotions affect our understanding and our living? Columbia Essay!

tehfunkicookie 19 / 50  
Hey guys! I'm about to turn in columbia essays. Please help me read them and grade them!! Please be as hard as you like =) There are two prompts!

PROMPT 1:
Please tell us what you found meaningful about one of the above mentioned books, publications or cultural events.

Some of the things that we claim to know strike us as intuitively obvious or are based on our gut feelings. The trouble for many of us is that what is intuitively obvious may through gut feeling may be entirely false. Something I learned meaningful out of The Man who Mistook his Wife for a Hat is that although emotion is bias in shaping people's judgment and perception on certain things, emotion is a crucial keystone in obtaining knowledge. I've relied mostly on language and reason by reading textbooks or other reliable sources in order to gain knowledge because I knew that if I relied on my emotion, I would encounter massive problems of bias in attaining knowledge. I was afraid that I would be misled throughout my middle and high school years by entirely false knowledge; however, through the doctor, the main character that investigates 24 patients, he discovers and proves to me that emotion is nonetheless important. Although I am cautious about applying my emotions during certain events, I have changed my standpoint on emotions and its capabilities.

PROMPT II:
Please tell us what academic class has been your favorite and why.

It's the class that wakes me up 7:00 in the morning, that serves as the queen and servant of the sciences, and that takes ambiguity to another and more complex level: IB Math HL. To me, math provides the foundation for deep insight because it's the class where I get the chance to discover relationships between certain subjects or theories. I can not only harvest knowledge in the interdisciplinary fields of mathematics but also in other subjects. Every time I enter the class, I feel like I'm in a whole new world. In addition, IB Math HL is where I get to discover my own capacity and potential in learning a multifaceted subject. Although many people find math uninteresting because of its complex topics and tedious proofs, I find math to be challenging, beautiful, and useful. Being able to solve math question that help demonstrate other amazing scientific theories in other subject areas is pure happiness. Learning the fundamentals and being able to apply math into other areas of knowledge such as the sciences or art continues to fascinate me to no end.
carolynah92 3 / 13  
Good answers. I especially liked the idea of the first one. Both answers are too wordy though.

Maybe you could give an example of when emotion and reason clashed for you? And then, you could give an example of how you used both to gain knowledge.

I tried to make things more clear in the first couple of lines. I have not read the book though, so I do not really know what you are trying to say.

*There is scientific proof that we rely too much on our intuition. We often believe our gut feelings even when they are wrong. I used to solely use reason to gain knowledge. However, The Man who Mistook his Wife for a Hat taught me that emotion is a crucial keystone in obtaining knowledge although it shapes judgments and perspectives. I came to this realization...

Just keep working on making your points concisely and clearly. Good luck!
erndawg 4 / 13  
I liked both of your essays a lot! I agree with the poster above, if you make those adjustments you will be in really good shape!

Home / Undergraduate / How can emotions affect our understanding and our living? Columbia Essay!