UC prompt #2 my empathetic nature

breakingRenee 5 / 11  
PROMPT: Tell us about a personal quality, talent, accomplishment, contribution or experience that is important to you.
If I had to choose the quality I value the most it would be my empathetic nature. From a small age my mother would always say to me "try to put yourself in the other person's shoe" So I always tried my best to do so. So much so that it became an involuntary action. This quality has been to me both a blessing and a curse. The negative side being people often take advantage of my kind nature. However the reason I think this is my best quality is because it bring me joy when it is helpful to all around. My ability to put myself in others shoes draws others to my company. I am often described as having the ability to make people comfortably at home as I seem to understand what they are going through.

The reason I value this quality the most is because I know form personal experience how badly a person can sometime wish someone would try to understand their point of view. I often wished others would stop judging and put themselves in my shoes instead of instantly labeling me the "weird girl" just because I disagree with their opinions. So from my own personal experience I know how much it matters when someone is empathetic towards you. Therefore I always try to do to others what few have done to me.

I believe that if everyone took a moment to put themselves in another persons shoe it would stop numerous world problems such as war, hunger, violence etc. So I plan to lead by example as I believe if everyone possessed the quality I have the world would be a much better place.
ubchiu 3 / 9  
Hi:)
I think overall it's a good essay and I can tell how kind you are in real life.
But I think an example of your own personal experience will help others understand how you learned the lesson and changed to who you are today, instead of just saying that you know from your personal experience. For example, when you say you got judged just cuz you disagreed w/ their opinions..you can use a specific example explaining how and why you disagree with their opinions on what issues..in this way, readers can tell your disagreement was actually the right side.

Good luck :)
dsalcoda419 1 / 2  
The subject is good but i also think you should give a specific example and it would be good if you do some proofreading; like instead of "small age" i think it is suppose to be "young age" and instead of "...other person's shoe" it might sound better if you put "another's shoes"; but other than that your essay has great potential
OP breakingRenee 5 / 11  
EDited Version
If I had to choose the quality I value the most it would be my empathetic nature. From a young age my mother would always say to me "try to put yourself in another's shoes" So I always tried my best to do so. So much so that it became an involuntary action. This quality has been to me both a blessing and a curse. The negative side being people often take advantage of my kind nature. However the reason I think this is my best quality is because it bring me joy when it is helpful to all around. My ability to put myself in others shoes draws others to my company. I am often described as having the ability to make people comfortably at home as I seem to understand what they are going through.

The reason I value this quality the most is because I know form personal experience how badly a person can sometime wish someone would try to understand their point of view. I often wished others would stop judging and put themselves in my shoes instead of instantly labeling me the "weird girl" just because I disagree with their opinions.At school I was always called the weird girl because I was a supporter of Homosexuality which is not accepted in Jamaica. I was often found arguing against the majority who believed that homosexuality was a sin.On numerous occasions I was alienated from my classmates as no one wanted to associate with the weird girl who supported homosexuality. No one stopped to ask me why I felt the way I did, it seemed as if no one cared to see things from my point of view. So from my own personal experience I know how much it matters when someone is empathetic towards you. Therefore I always try to do to others what few have done to me.

Home / Undergraduate / UC prompt #2 my empathetic nature