'empty refrigerators'; QuestBridge - experience that intellectually excites me

roka4004 1 / 3  
Help me please! I realize that my essay does not flow and it gets confusing. Maybe if someone could add another point that would tie the different parts together? This is due today actually (my fault for procrastinating). I still have to add how this relates to me, but if you think this is terrible and incoherent, let me know if I should just scrap this and start over.

Most of the refrigerators I saw in Nicaragua had a poster of Daniel Ortega plastered on the front, commemorating the 30th anniversary of Ortega's victory over the dictator Anastasio Somoza Debayle. But if you opened the fridge, you would find it mostly empty, with only bottles of nail polish and peeled mangos inside. The room that the fridge stands in has no furniture, with the exception of a stack of white plastic chairs. Poverty is apparent, and with the unemployment rate at 80%, there is little hope of breaking out of it. However on July 19th, the day of the anniversary, I saw red and black flags brought out and heard a cacophony of revolutionary music blasting from every house in the community. "Ä„Viva Daniel!" my host mother shouted, pulling me to dance to a particularly lively ranchero song.

As an American volunteer in Nicaragua, a nation whose history with the United States has been turbulent, politics were a reoccurring topic in dinner table discussions. One evening's conversation was centered on the United States and the effects of capitalism, to which my companions were vehemently opposed. Socialism, communism, capitalism: which of these socio-economic systems is most beneficial for its people? How is this judged? When the Soviet Union controlled the Eastern Bloc, its citizens longed for the capitalism of America. Anti-communist movements, like Solidarity in Poland and the Hungarian Revolution, were formed. On the other hand, in Latin America, Cuba and Nicaragua have embraced socialist ideals in opposition to their previous governments controlled by U.S.-backed dictators. History has buried and elevated certain political structures, yet this "selection of the fittest" has not led to a comprehensive system of governance. There have been countless instances where a stronger world power has impressed its supremacy on the government of its subordinates - the U.S. and Iraq, Russia and the Eastern European nations, Rome and its empire - but the diversity of government remains.
OP roka4004 1 / 3  
Sorry the prompt is:
Describe an experience that you have had or a concept you have learned about that intellectually excites you. When answering this question, you may want to consider some of the following questions: Why does this topic excite you? How does it impact the way you or others experience the world? What questions do you continue to ponder about it?
OP roka4004 1 / 3  
or actually the prompt for this could be :
A range of academic interests, personal perspectives, and life experiences adds much to the educational mix. Given your background, please describe an experience that illustrates what you would bring to the diversity in a college community, or an encounter that demonstrated the importance of diversity to you.

im not sure which prompt this would fit better under - it could be the diversity of government has continued to better the system?
The essay seems unfinished because you don't actually give your answer to the question you have posed:

Socialism, communism, capitalism: which of these socio-economic systems is most beneficial for its people?

How would you answer that question? How do your experiences in Nicaragua inform your response?
OP roka4004 1 / 3  
yeah im not finished with this essay by any means. the word limit is 500 and im only at around 300.
i still need to find a way to tie it back to me.
my question is... at the moment does it make any sense? and which prompt do you think it would be better suited for?

Home / Undergraduate / 'empty refrigerators'; QuestBridge - experience that intellectually excites me