An encounter with a Beggar and her starving child; Seattle U - Good Match

anniesis27 6 / 11 2  
Why do you feel Seattle University is a good match with your educational goals?

PLEASE HELP, I FEEL LIKE IT'S TOO LONG, although there is no word limit.
also please be honest. Thanks :)

(Psalm 72:12-14) "For he will deliver the needy who cry out, the afflicted who have no one to help. He will take pity on the weak and the needy and save the needy from death. He will rescue them from oppression and violence, for precious is their blood in his sight."

As a child, I have always known that a single individual can be a servant of change. This epiphany was realized in the crowded and hot market place in Ghana West Africa, when I encountered a beggar and her child. The child was about three years old. She was thin and fragile, with ribs penetrating out. Her body was nothing but bones and she looked like she was on the brink of death, fighting starvation. Many people passed by the family, without a second thought, yet I stood before them, impulses rushing through my body, as I wept in their presence. I mumbled to myself "Poverty is a curse". I looked down at the mother, and saw pain in her eyes, as the sun descended upon us, waiting to devour her in its blaze. At that moment I felt compelled to help.

With the little money my mother gave me, I knelt down and placed it in the mother's hand. She looked at me, with tears falling down her face, "aseda wo", "thank you" she said. Those words echoed in my ears, and I saw my reflection in the eyes of the mother. I knew there was more to life than just living, and I wanted to provide for people like the beggar and her daughter; I want to serve deprived developing countries, with extreme poverty rate. These desires have driven me to pursue a career in Economics and International Studies, and Seattle University's International Studies and Global Awareness Program will be the perfect place to fulfill my academic goals and my desire to eradicate poverty.

When researching Seattle University, I realized your institution values excellence and educational achievement. SU prides itself on the community and Jesuit tradition, which promotes independent critical thinkers and openness to finding and serving God. As a Pentecostal Christian, I have always led my life in line with SU values, which is why SU is the ideal place for me. Its service of faith and promotion of justice to address issues of poverty and injustice will connect me back to the beggar, her child and the reason why I choose this institution. SU's well-rounded undergraduate program will provide me with a variety of courses to broaden my academic perspective. Its myriad of programs and opportunities will allow for involvement within the community. SU's International development internship program will provide me with a sense of responsibility for social justice with acquired leadership skills needed to move toward action. Besides that, its Global Awareness Program will enhance my major and provide me with global experiences and opportunities. I also look forward to joining the SU Human Trafficking Awareness Club to get a different perspective on issues concerning social injustice. Additionally, local organizations such as Swedish Medical Center, Harborview and Child Haven will provide the perfect environment bursting with opportunities to volunteer, and help those in need. SU combines academic excellence with an unpretentious northwest culture and an engaging community.

Seattle University is not only a place of beauty and community, it is a university dedicated to educating the whole person and empowering leaders for a just and humane world. To have the opportunity to be part of a strong supportive community that will help me achieve my academic and career goals is a blessing. I will thrive and succeed in this institution because the sight of the beggar and her child will always weight upon me. I will always wonder: what if the child was me? What if the beggar was my mother? Would there be someone with a giving hand, or would I have to look into the eyes of the people as they pass by while I take my last breath?
As a child, I have always known that a single individual can be a servant of change.

... I feel it is better if you present this in a more simpler tone;
From a tender age, I began to beleive that even a single individual can bring about change.

Many people passed by the family, without a second thought, yet I stood before them, impulses rushing through my body, as I wept in their presencewas shaken by this scene .

knew there was more to life than just living

.... impressive :)

and I wanted to provide for people like the beggar and her daughter; I want to serve deprived developing countries, with extreme poverty rate.

This is what I suggest;
I began to feel the need for saving people like this beggar and her daughter from poverty; I realized the importance of making my contributions to the struggle of poverty alliviation in my region where the prevailing poverty rate is highest.

Interesting essay.... Wish you good luck!
OP anniesis27 6 / 11 2  
Thank you guys so much I really appreciated all of the comments and revision. You guys really helped me organize my paper.
Thanks again

Home / Undergraduate / An encounter with a Beggar and her starving child; Seattle U - Good Match