'endless activities' - Why NYU? Supplement

Suzhou 3 / 7  
Prompt: Why NYU?

At NYU, there's so much doing on, endless activities that my hometown will never be able to offer. Is it the guest lecturer coming to talk about the latest development in biology? Is it the film screening being held in Washington Square Park? In a city teeming with millions, there's no end to the possibilities. I have a chance to pursue my education outside of the classroom, to gain that "real-world" experience, to figure out the answer to the age old question adults love to ask: What do I want to do with my life?

The liberal arts program of CAS would give me the opportunity to involve myself in both biology and literature, two unrelated fields of study that have both captured my interest. Not only that, by taking the core classes, I might even discover a hidden passion. Perhaps I hold a dormant zeal for economics - who knows?

Current students at NYU talk of the freedom they've found here. It's not a "lets-go-wild" freedom, but a degree of independence. I'll be living on my own, in control of my plans and my time. I'll have to learn how to support myself, how to balance my work and my education, how to lay down reachable goals to work for. These skills are not taught, but slowly acquired.

At NYU, I hope to not only broaden my perspective outside of the suburbs where I live, but to discover my ambitions and emerge enlightened.

Is the ending too...stupid? Does my passion come through? Be as blunt as you want!
pinkbunny - / 9  
I actually liked the ending! but instead of discover your "ambitions" (which slightly confused me), how about you say "discover myself"?
babygurl2012 4 / 15  
Remember to relay it back to you and I loved your ending. I agree with pinkbunny, you want to grow and discover you interest and I believe NYU will truly love that!
pinkbunny - / 9  
I really like the new one! But why did you leave out the bit asking rhetorical questions about NYU and the surrounding area? i feel like that really personalized it for NYU. You never want to have an essay that you can cut and paste for other "Why ____" questions. Admissions officers can tell. On the other hand, this one is much more concise. it's your call though. good luck! (:
OP Suzhou 3 / 7  
Pinkbunny: That was an accident...haha I added it back in. Still below the character count though :) Thanks for the help
OP Suzhou 3 / 7  
Can you guys also proofread this essay for another one of NYU's prompts?

What intrigues you? Tell us about one work of art, scientific achievement, piece of literature, method of communication, or place in the world (a film, book, performance, website, event, location, etc.), and explain its significance to you.

There's nothing like spending free time curled up with a good book. And although my English teacher would lament my definition of a "good book", since it does not involve any literary classics, my guilty pleasures inevitably lie in fantasy, especially with good old dragons. A mythical creature (or two) is the perfect ingredient for spicing up a plotline.

I received Inheritance by Christopher Paolini for Christmas. From the first page, I was enraptured. As I forayed deeper into the conflict, the same thoughts clamored ever louder in my mind: "How is the author going to pull this off? How will Eragon escape from the evil clutches of Galbatorix now?" My hands may have well been glued to the book. I was voracious, and devoured each chapter with eagerness. I started the 849-page book at twelve pm and finished nine hours later, a bit dazed and disappointed to be thrown back in reality.

With writing, Paolini captures the readers' attention with exceptional skill. It doesn't matter whether I'm in my room or in the kitchen near a turned-on TV - even if for a brief moment, I can lose myself in the land of Alagaesia.

This skill is a goal I'll always be striving towards, to offer my readers a chance to forget the mundane and delve into my poems, my essays, my imagination.
thes1tuation 3 / 4  
I like the essay, however, I feel that it focuses mostly on NYC and not NYU. I could see you being just as happy at Columbia or any other college in NYC. You might want to do some quick research and find a program or anything NYU has that really separates it from other schools in the city.

Home / Undergraduate / 'endless activities' - Why NYU? Supplement