"engaging with present issues" - What appeals to me most - Columbia

reynabeige 1 / 1  
Constructive criticism much appreciated!

Please tell us what you find most appealing about Columbia and why: (1500 characters)

Columbia is the answering call to what I seek most in education. From the outset, Columbia sought to "enlarge the Mind, improve the Understanding, and polish the whole Man." It's an ambitious goal, but one I believe Columbia has absolutely achieved. Eighty undergraduate areas of study, five hundred clubs and organizations, a vibrant and diverse campus - what more can I ask for? Columbia offers the ideal milieu to explore my interests, whether that is fulfilling my love of creative writing by contributing to The Columbia Review, joining the intramural table tennis team, or singing A Capella with Notes and Keys.

What impresses me most, however, is the emphasis Columbia places on engaging with present issues. I believe education should encourage not only a love of learning, but also a willingness to improve society, to devise solutions for current problems. Columbia certainly champions this view of education. Located in the city of countless opportunities that is New York, Columbia actively partakes in research. The Audubon Biotechnology and Research Park especially impresses me, demonstrating Columbia's commitment to improving America and the wider world. This awareness of current issues also extends to the curriculum. I am excited by the Economics major, and its focus on current global matters such as globalization. ECON W2257y, the Global Economy, particularly interests me.

For me, education is the light of the future. In Columbia's dazzling light, the future is limitless.

If you want me to review your essays, I'll be very happy to as well :)
ninasong 4 / 11  
Merry Christmas first of all!
so to be honest, it was pretty hard for me to keep reading it...i had to force me actually to read the whole part and not skimm it.

I would elaborate a bit on the following points:
why are you interested in global economy
why do the research programms imüresses you
how does columbia challenge 'this view'

Further, I would revise the first paragraph. you should make it a bit more catchier. start with a quote or something like that :D

it would be great if you could give me a feedback on my essays :D
sorry not able to help with grammar..not a native speaker :D
iceui2 - / 70  
Overall, I think it's a good Why Columbia essay. If you want to make it even better, work on tightening it. As in... your essay right now is too all over the place. So maybe focus on a few specifics and really mention what you plan to contribute to those Columbia programs (and why you became interested in them). Good luck!

Home / Undergraduate / "engaging with present issues" - What appeals to me most - Columbia