(An engineer at heart) - interests in the program University of Waterloo?

joveuh 1 / -  
Q1 Why did you choose to apply to the program you have applied to and why University of Waterloo?

My goals include of successfully completing Bachelors in SYDE and moving forth towards a Master's in Biomedical engineering. My engineering in particular, developed as I would closely observe anything in the house being fixed by my late uncles who were electrical engineers themselves, whether it be a fan, T.V., motor-bike, especially things of electric notion. From infancy I have been capable of distinguishing between components of machines and devices. I would dissemble and rearrange components of some of these devices, exhibiting knowledge of their functions. I would get fascinated by peculiarity of pretty much anything, and question its formation. Walls, roads, trees, houses, and many other things of routine that come to our notice, fascinated me. University of Waterloo pioneers in co-op education, which ensures students a hands-on experience. This way I can get involved physically. Additionally, I would love to be a part of men's sports, particularly, soccer and swimming, and contribute to the chess club, and the debate society.

Q2 What are your engineering goals and interests? Why did you choose engineering?

I am an engineer at heart. I have self-taught many things, and therefore, have acquired proficiency in intuition and instinct, both of which are skills of utmost importance for an engineer. By 9, I was practicing the computer programming language of QBasic. And by 13, I was programming HTML, JavaScript, XSL, and Flash in my spare time as a hobby, all without the help of any teacher. In school, I would be the first one to conduct an experiment during class, whether it be oxidizing Magnesium ribbons, or making of common soap, or noticing plasmolytic onion cells. At my own leisure, I would research on prolific scientists and inventors, and the reasons to what brought about their creations. The successes of Thomas Edison, Kia Silverbrook, and Shunpei Yamazaki in inventing a ginormous amount patents has personally influenced me. For the most part, my interest in Biomedical Engineering will allow me to thoroughly understand the anatomy of living bodies, and help me contrive systems which will serve and protect them.

Q3. Are there any issues or reasons that academically affected your performance?

I was born into a lower-middle class, dysfunctional family. I immigrated to Canada in Jan 2006. I was 15. My English accent was terrible. Near the end of the first year of our family's arrival, my father, as the head of the house, was faced with enough social and financial challenges, which continued. It was very hard for our family to maintain as a unit as it was, and so, to sustain in a society we had merely researched about was out of question. My father and step-mother would dispute every so often, over things of little importance, and every so often police calls were made, which always lead to CAS getting involved in our family matters, taking under custody half of our family. On occasions, it lead to my father's arrest and incarceration. Having no family members or friends to support my father under such circumstances, he would turn to me as his eldest child, and blame for his failure in keeping the family assembled and producing prosperity. Tensions between us grew incredibly. And I decided to part my ways with the family in search of peace of mind, and in hopes of fixing everything. But, having no social support, I ended up on the streets for 2 years. I got in bad shape. My self-esteem had shockingly dropped. Maintaining a job was uneasy, maintaining my composure was uneasy. Focusing at anything was hard. Survival had become my priority; it wasn't education anymore. Living in shelter homes and couch surfing at friends' never allowed me to pay enough attention to my outgrowing number of medical ailments. Growing up I didn't have a mattress, and still, I didn't. I developed chronic muscle spasms and chronic soft-tissue injury, due to non-ergonomic patterns of continually sleeping on the floor most of the life. And then symptoms of breathlessness and Morton's Neuroma came along. The quantity of things I was able to do, got reduced into fractions. At this point, walking on feet became a nightmare. It still is.
Jennyflower81 - / 690 96  
Hi: I will look at your first question and response.

My goals include of successfully completing the Bachelors degree program in SYDE, and moving forthtowardscontinuing my education to obtain a Master's in Biomedical engineering.

(I feel like you need a sentence before this one to "lead in" to this, otherwise it is just getting right to the point, which is fine if you have a word limit)

My engineering in particular, developed as I would closely observe anything in the house being fixed by my late uncles who were electrical engineers themselves, whether it be a fan, T.V., motor-bike, especially things of electric notion. From infancy I have been capable of distinguishing between components of machines and devices. I would dissemble and rearrange components of some of these devices, exhibiting knowledge of their functions. I would get fascinated by peculiarity of pretty much anything, and question its formation. Walls, roads, trees, houses, and many other things of routine that come to our notice, fascinated me.

Unfortunately, this is off-topic. You can mention you have always had an interest in this field of study, and have a natural passion for it. The rest of this is unnecessary, and is not correctly answering the prompt question. It is using filler instead of writing actual reason for wanting to attend the school. Focus on what the school has to offer, and let them know these things have drawn your attention.

Home / Undergraduate / (An engineer at heart) - interests in the program University of Waterloo?