'an engineer who can make a difference' - Cornell Engineering- Computers

FightGravity 1 / 1  
Engineers turn ideas (technical, scientific, mathematical) into reality. Tell us about an engineering idea you have or your interest in engineering. Explain how Cornell Engineering can help you further explore this idea or interest.

As a young boy, I remember watching psychedelic shapes dance across the screen of my dad's brand new IBM workstation. I remember the blinking lights and soft 'hum' of the computer, how it emanated a sense of power and beauty. As I grew older, these machines became a source of fascination and wonder to me. I was captivated by technologies such as the internet, which allowed information to be shared thousands of times faster than ever before, and humanoid robots like the Honda Asimo that attempted to bridge the gap between human and machine. My love for computers and technology naturally led me to consider a future career in engineering.

To me, engineering isn't just about solving complicated differential equations and understanding abstract physics concepts. It's about taking that knowledge and using it to create something useful, exciting, and cutting edge. This is especially true in the field of computer engineering and computer science, where new inventions and breakthroughs occur every day. Forty years ago, computers took up entire rooms. Today, you can hold the same amount of processing power in the palm of your hand. The exponential growth and innovation of computer technology is both exciting and unpredictable. Engineering is also practical. For example, computers are not only used to simplify tasks in communications, entertainment, and travel for consumers, but are also a vital component in other professions as well. Surgeons now use robots to operate on patients from halfway across the world. Businessmen rely on powerful computer software to accurately analyze and interpret company statistics. Our military depends on complex computer algorithms in its missiles that ensure pinpoint accuracy on targets from hundreds of miles away. As a future computer engineer or scientist, I hope to capture that essence of innovation, excitement, and practicality in my own work.

The first step I must take to achieve this goal lies in Cornell University. Being one of the top ranked engineering programs of the country, the Cornell College of Engineering offers both breadth and depth in its curriculum. For instance, as a computer science major, dozens of electives are offered that explore the many branches of computer science such as graphics, AI, cryptography, and quantum computing. This will undoubtedly help me decide exactly what my interests are and what I would want to focus as an engineer. Also, Cornell not only provides students with a solid education, but also helps them prepare for the future. The College of Engineering offers numerous opportunities for computer science majors in terms of undergraduate research, co-ops, and internships. I hope to take advantage of many of these programs, which will undoubtedly help me gain insight into the professional world of engineering.

I am confident that Cornell University has all the vital tools that I will need in order to grow and succeed as a student. Its exceptional engineering department, comprehensive curriculum, competitive learning environment, and wealth of opportunities for research and internships make it the optimal place for me to not just become an engineer, but become an engineer who can make a difference.

Any suggestions or criticisms are welcome :)
Cleopatra 8 / 22  
I love your usage of language and i give you much praise for being clear and straight to the point. However, what you want to do with such a prompt is sell yourself over advertising the university. The last paragraph can use the SAME words but in different order. For example, begin the last paragraph saying "I will need vital tools in order to ... Such needs include an exceptional engineering department, comprehensive curriculum...make a difference. I am confident that I can find all of what I am looking for in the program Cornell has to offer".

Do you see what I'm saying? Cornell knows it's great. That's why it gets to pick who gets in. You need to tell them YOU're great!

Also, in the first paragraph, i don't find the sentence "my love for..." strong and the essay would have a smoother flow to it if it is omitted.

Other than that, the essay's great :)
OP FightGravity 1 / 1  
Thanks for the input! I definitely agree with what you're saying, especially the "sell yourself over advertising the university" part.

Home / Undergraduate / 'an engineer who can make a difference' - Cornell Engineering- Computers