Engineering and Applied Science, Northwestern supp. Why northwestern/mccormick?

powdaskier 1 / -  
What are the unique qualities of Northwestern - and of the specific undergraduate school to which you are applying - that make you want to attend the University? In what ways do you hope to take advantage of the qualities you have identified?

The McCormick School of Engineering and Applied Science is extremely attractive because of the Co-op program. The school is known for pairing students with clients to work on practical problems. Mechanical Engineering is used everywhere and the applications are limitless. Mechanical Engineering is especially interesting and I know that Northwestern has a strong engineering program with state-of-the-art research facilities and a well-renowned faculty.

I am interested in the automotive mechanical engineering world and Northwestern offers the Ford Motor Company Engineering Design Center. I intend to utilize this facility to learn about the engineering of vehicles and search for employment opportunities. I also plan to be a part of the co-op program offered by McCormick to gain employment experience as well as help pay for tuition. By engaging in the co-op program I will be able to leave Northwestern with practical work experience in Mechanical Engineering. The Co-op program will also allow the practical application of the research done in class.

Edward B. Fiske, author of Fiske Guide to Colleges, calls Northwestern "Young corporate America." This catches my attention because with the state of the economy, the key is to have work experience and be able to find employment right out of college. At McCormick, students are known to be extremely well prepared for the working community. I wish to be one of those students that are sought after by major companies such as Boeing or Ford Motor Company. Just as Bayram and Delaunay, students of Northwestern, received awards from Boeing, I want to leave Northwestern with the ability to work for major engineering companies.

I have always lived in the suburbs by the coast in California. I love the cold weather and Evanston seems like a perfect fit. The diversity of the student body will also benefit me because I would love to learn about other peoples' cultures. I have talked to past students who have all said that Northwestern's social life is amazing. If I went to Northwestern, I would play water polo on the club team or I would try out for the Division one Swim Team. The club team attracts me because I would love to play water polo in college, but on a club team so that I may focus more on education.

McCormick's reputation as a strong engineering school with powerful ties to major companies has caught my attention. The sports and social life made available by Northwestern is also extremely attractive. I would love to attend Northwestern to receive an exemplary education with strong connections to companies so that I may succeed in life.
Tictac8 4 / 18  
Wow this essay is really focused and that is great! But by the time I get to the third paragraph, it suddenly switches from engineering to a whole different aspect. Try to make the transition a bit smoother. And don't talk about the weather. There's just too many school that has cold weather and diversity too...and social life. In fact I think you can just get rid of the 4th paragraph because there's a lot of schools that have what you stated, not just NU.

Otherwise it's a great essay and good luck!

Home / Undergraduate / Engineering and Applied Science, Northwestern supp. Why northwestern/mccormick?