Engineering + My Dad + No work experience + Growing up in China - Syracuse

ljvalerie 1 / 2  
Hey guys! I'm an international student from china who has been in U.S. for a year.
I really need some suggestions on my supplement essays.
My English is not that good, so please help me with this.
Any help is appreciated!!! Thanks :)
Questions:
1.Who or what influenced you to apply to Syracuse University?

2. Who is the person you dream of becoming and how do you believe Syracuse University can help you achieve this?

3. If you have had work experience, what skills and/or knowledge did you gain?

4. Our mission of Scholarship in Action, education for the world in the world, extends beyond the classroom to include engagement opportunities with our campus community, the City of Syracuse, and locations across the globe. Based on your interests, tell us what real-world experiences you might pursue during your education at Syracuse as part of this mission.

Answers:
1.
My career interest is engineering, and Syracuse University has great Engineering programs. That's the main reason I apply to SU. When I first clicked into SU website, Orange color really caught my eyes. Maybe because orange is my favorite color, I got a good feeling about Syracuse University. I'm currently spending my senior year in Pennsylvania, and because my host parents have a very busy schedule and I don't drive, it's hard for me to plan a visit to the campus. I looked closely at all the information I could get on the website, and I thought this college is definitely worth a try.

1.
My dad is the person I dream of becoming the most. He might seem very common to most people, but he really achieved a lot. He grew up in a poor family, and had to give up his education during high school because the family couldn't afford his tuition anymore. In china, due to the big population, all kinds of competitions in job market are very hard to imagine. Like People always say, nothing can ever stop you if you try hard enough. My dad struggled for a long time, but his hardworking finally brought him success. He is a well-paid manager in a company now. That company gave my dad a chance to prove himself, and my dad went through many training programs. He got the least education compare to other people in the company, but he does the best job and has received many honors through all these years. As a daughter, I'm very proud of him, and it's him who showed me anything is possible if we try very hard. I have a great family that can support me to go anywhere I want to study, but my father's attitude when he faces challenges is still a big inspiration for me. I want to be like him, because no matter how the environment tries to drag him down, he will always break all the difficulties and then even go higher. Syracuse University is an opportunity for me to explore myself. I believe there're a lot of challenges waiting for me, but I will try as hard as I can to reach my goal, just like what my father did in that company many years ago.

3.
No work experience.
4.
Growing up in a score-oriented education system in China, I know how important it is to learn actual skills rather than do paper work. In China, the only thing high school students are trying to achieve is the big exam called Gaokao, which is also known as the National Higher Education Entrance Examination. Compare to SAT, Gaokao is a much more stressful, because all the students take it at the same time, and everyone only have one chance to take the exam. Whether you did good or bad, the final score will become the only reference for college admission. In China, There're issues in many universities as they are still struggling with their developments, because they always take students with high scores without knowing their characteristics or talents. I came to U.S. to study, because I know I can be more than just a score here. I want a place where I can study in a great environment and also apply what I've learned to the reality instead of memorizing facts. Syracuse University's vision of "Scholarship in Action" really breaks out of the tradition, and I know that's what I've been looking for the whole time. I would like to join the SummerStart program to ensure a smooth transition from high school to college. In order to combine my academic study with professional work experience related to my major, I would like to apply for the co-op program at the start of my sophomore year.
kisna22 2 / 9  
My dad is the person I dream of becoming the most
high school because the his family couldn't
"china" should be capitalized C hina
OP ljvalerie 1 / 2  
Thank you!
I really did make a lot of small mistakes :p
map18 1 / 6  
When I first clicked into SU website, the Orange color really caught my eye.
For the third question you could talk about community service instead of work experience.
OP ljvalerie 1 / 2  
Here is for the work experience. I don't know if this counts.

3.
I was a teen reporter when I was at 8th and 9th grade. Because I was very shy and quiet in public at that period of time, my mother encouraged me to join a teen publishing organization which provides opportunities for teenagers to have experience on reporting for TV channels or writing for newspapers or magazines. I took some courses and learned many basic information and techniques about reporting. The most useful thing I learned is how to communicate with people. With the help of local newspaper reporters, I did many interesting interviews. I still remember how I was facing Jackie Chan one time, and asked him two questions. I was standing beside the official adult reporter, and involved in the interview. It was very exciting for me. Although as a child, I was going crazy in my mind when I saw this famous actor in front of me, I had to act like a professional reporter and speak to him calmly. I didn't get paid to do anything, but I was willing to participate in every event, and I could strongly feel the difference it made on me.
zkessay7 - / 1  
He grew up in a poor family, and had to give up his education during high school because thehis family couldn't afford his tuition anymore. In chinaChina , due to the biglarge population, all kinds of competitions in job market are very hard to imagine(RE-WORD ITALICIZED) . Like Peoplepeople always say, nothing can ever stop you if you try hard enough. My dad struggled for a long time, but his hardworkinghard work finally brought him success.

Syracuse University is an opportunity for me to explore myself. I believe there'rethere are a lot of challenges waiting for me, but I will try as hard as I can to reach my goal, just like what my father did in that company many years ago.

3.
No work experience.
4.
CompareCompared to SAT, Gaokao is a much more stressful, because all the students take it at the same time, and everyone only havehas only one chance to take the exam. Whether you did good or bad(CONSIDER REVISING ITALICIZED) , the final score will become the only reference for college admission. In China, There'rethere are issues in many universities as they are still struggling with their developments, because they always take students with high scores without knowing their characteristics or talents. I came to the U.S. to study, because I know I can be more than just a score here. I want a place where I can study in a great environment and also apply what I've learned to the realityreality instead of memorizing facts. Syracuse University's vision of "Scholarship in Action" really breaks out of thebreaks from tradition, and I know that's what I've been looking for the whole time.

Home / Undergraduate / Engineering + My Dad + No work experience + Growing up in China - Syracuse