Why Engineering (fantasies + inventions and discoveries)- Brown Uni.

Shadow93 9 / 40  
This is a compilation of the Engineering essay to Brown Uni!! Help appreciated :) Thanks in advance~

1) Many applicants to college are unsure about eventual majors. What factors led you to an interest in the field of Engineering?

Engineering is all about dreams, and ever since I was a kid, I always had the wildest fantasies. Let's make a hamster launching trebuchet I would say, or a mounted laser death ray! But nah, the usual response: "that's impossible, stop wasting your time." And yet every great invention began this way, with a dream that was met with disbelief. When I finally completed my first trebuchet, I wanted to shout to the world, "Impossible you say? Well, I just did it." For me, engineering captures ideas, however wild, and turns them into reality. It's a constant thrill of innovation and challenges, facing the problems of tomorrow and solving them today. That's why I chose engineering.

2) What experiences beyond school work have broadened your interest in Engineering?

Ever since antiquity, mankind's achievements have been recorded in our inventions and discoveries. Indeed, the very passage of history is a reflection of our progress in science and a testament to the marvelous story of engineering. But technology is no force of nature. Nothing, not even the simple wheel would exist, were it not for the sweat of man. People like Leonardo da Vinci, Nikola Tesla, and Alfred Nobel, pioneers who bravely led the world to dizzying heights of greatness, they were my heroes. I have always wanted to be like them, and growing up, that's exactly what I did. I built birdhouses, small Ferris wheels, Lego robots and even mini roller coasters. I've explored nature and designed my own little park. I'm older now but I've never really grown out of that childish sense of wonder. For the last two summers, not only have I conducted experiments in planarian regeneration at Brown University but also worked as a computer technician. Yet I still don't think there is a single defining experience that broadens my interest in engineering. It's really a lifestyle, the ever present desire to experiment, to design things, to create things, and in the end to be always chasing the impossible.

3) Brown offers programs in Biomedical, Chemical, Civil, Computer, Electrical, Materials, and Mechanical Engineering. Because there is a common core curriculum within Engineering, students need not select a specific area until their junior year. We are curious to know, however, if any particular program within Engineering presently appeals to you. If so, please discuss that choice.

I intend to take up Biomedical engineering because it is the field with the most potential. As a relatively new branch of science, there are many questions that still need to be answered and many mysteries that still await the bold explorer. How can we create artificial stem cells and avoid controversies? Should it be through Induced pluripotent cells or ex-vitro cell culture? We don't know, but I yearn to be one of those explorers who are going to find out, to be at the cutting edge of science, to be where humanity is just beginning to go.

It's not just realities that drive me though, but at my core, it's a vision of a world where people can live free from sickness, where diabetes is no longer synonymous with suffering, where cancer is no worse a disease than the common cold. It's a beautiful dream that I wish to help turn into reality.
riny 13 / 26  
Engineering is all about (my) dreams...

I always (have) had ...

nah -it's not for achademic.

the last part of question no.1 is good, but i do not think you need to put the story.

the very passage

I have always wanted to be like them, and growing up, that's exactly what I did.(and I grew up exactly what i wanted)
OP Shadow93 9 / 40  
Sorry but I think the inclusion of "my" is unnecessary because it makes the sentence sound awkward and I was refering to engineering as a whole.

I also think it should be had, because I am using the past tense? As in, "ever since I was a kid, I always had..."

I know nah is a bit conversational but I felt it adds a personal touch to an otherwise normal essay.

Hmmm, "very" does seem a bit unnecessary but it seems to add a nice dramatic ring to it. (Or just makes it sound better, not sure which)

Thanks for your comments though :)
Although some of us think a hamster launching trebuchet is a hilarious idea, others would find it offensive. Can you think of another noun to replace hamster?

This part needs to be trimmed:
Ever since antiquity, mankind's achievements have been recorded in our inventions and discoveries. Indeed, the very The passage of history is a...------If you do this, I will like the intro a lot more. That does not mean everyone would agree with me! But I did not like the first sentence, because inventions and discoveries are types of achievements... and although the meaning is clear, it is also too obvious.

And one last suggestion:
I intend to take up Biomedical engineering because it is the field with the most potential for _______ _________.
(add a specification to this sentence. Potential for what?)

:-)
OP Shadow93 9 / 40  
Wahhh very appropriate suggestions Kevin! If only I posted my essay earlier though, I submitted it for the Nov.1 Early Decision deadline~~ Oh well :) Thanks a lot though!

Home / Undergraduate / Why Engineering (fantasies + inventions and discoveries)- Brown Uni.