Engineering: Outlining reasons about why I've decided to apply for college

theband4life 1 / -  
...and details and factors relevant to the review of my application.

I am not good at expressing myself. I can't express my emotions very well in real life, and I have even a tougher time with putting them into words on a piece of paper(or Microsoft Word). I always had a tough time with English classes in general. So here I am looking for guidance.

I've also had a checkered academic past...I'm hope that they can look past it. If you can also recommend any books I could start reading that will help me write essays and such in general, that would be great. I know the school doesn't want an essay...just an outline. Maybe an outline is an essay and my grasp of the English, or the lack of it, is showing again.

----------------------------------

The world of engineering has always fascinated me. I cannot help but wonder how everything in my room and my surroundings had something to do with an engineer. My father, an engineer, was one of the people who inspired me to pursue engineering ever since I was a child. I dedicated my senior years in high school to pursue this goal.

I believe Ryerson is the school in which to pursue my studies because it offers applied education along with the theory aspect of the program, which reflects positively for future employers. Coupled with the fact that Ryerson also has great Student unions and services available such as Tri-Mentoring program which I intend to take full advantage.

When evaluating my application, I would like to explain the blemish on my post secondary history. It was due to immaturity and lack of focus that my academics suffered during that time. I was also working full time during that period to help with the cost of living with my family. This situation has now changed, my family moved to the United States and I'm on my own. I did better during my last attempt as I was able to complete a calculus and two computer science courses. I know that if I am fully committed to something, I can succeed in it. I know that it will not be easy task, but nothing worth having is easy.

I am convinced that Ryerson is the best choice for me to pursue my undergraduate degree and I will have a bright future after graduation.

-----------------------------------

Fire away! *flame suit on*
Thanks in advance if you can help me out.
ryanparrish 1 / 1  
I am also a poor writer as well may I suggest this

Introduction
Introduce your topic attention getter

Support Paragraph
support your topic

Support Paragraph

support your topic

Against Your topic
address the objections to your topic

Conclusion
wrap up with your key points and a memorable finish

I know it is easier talking about writing then actually writing I am also applying to transfer you should sell your self and tell your story
The world of engineering has always fascinated me (Replace this sentence wth a sentence you might say to your friend in order to get him interested in engineering... make it a sentence about why engineering is meaningful.)

I cannot help but feel a sense of wonder about the fact that everything in my room and my surroundings had something to do with an engineer. --- this is a good sentence! Chop off that first one and let this be your "hook" to hook the reader's attention at the start of an essay.

My father, an engineer, was one of the people who inspired me to pursue engineering ever since I was a child. --- as you engineer your essay, remove all unhelpful or unnecessary words. "one of the people who" is like fat weighing down the essay.

I dedicated my senior years in high school to the pursuit of this goal.

This situation has now changed; my family moved to the United States, and I'm on my own. I did better ...

I like the ending! You can improve this a lot by talking about plans you have for the future... show that you have a vision for your work as an engineer, and show that you have a plan with specific details. Specific, detailed plans reflect seriousness and passion.

:-)

Home / Undergraduate / Engineering: Outlining reasons about why I've decided to apply for college