"Never Enough" - Profile Essay for my English 101 class

geebs5 4 / 6 1  
Please give me any insight whatsoever! I can use all the help I can get!!

Never Enough

"His expression was unforgettable. At first glance, all I noticed were his raggedy clothes and filthy hair. I'd seen him from a distance, begging people for any spare change they might have. As my buddy and I kept walking, I knew he'd stop us for money. And I was prepared to help the man that was until I laid eyes upon his face. It wasn't the look of hunger or anguish that I was expecting to see; instead this man had an unbelievable expression of necessity. I knew instantly that I couldn't simply give him money. I had to do more. Without thought, I instantly ran to the nearest restaurant, order a full meal made for three men, and carried them back to the stranger. As I left, an overwhelming sensation of happiness filled my soul. Yet, I couldn't stop thinking of how I possibly could have done so much more."

-Alexander Keogan

Within this day and age, materialism is everything. What you wear, what you drive, and where you live can say a lot about your personality and social standing. As nice as it is to have and be surrounded by fancy things, there comes a time in which one stops and realizes there are more important things in life. In Alex's case it was the welfare of his beloved friend whose family at the time were undergoing some difficult financial issues. Knowing that his friend couldn't afford to go school shopping for the upcoming school year, Alex had an idea. After several weeks of anxiously waiting for his paycheck to come so he could finally buy those hot new pair of Jordans he'd been wanting to get, the day finally arrived. He excitedly drove to the mall, bought the $198 shoes, and drove to his buddy's house. Without hesitation Alex placed the box on their doorstep with a note attached and drove away. Although to some this might have seemed like a grand sacrifice, to Alex this was merely a small gesture of love.

At a young age, it was clear that Alexander Neal Keogan wasn't your ordinary child. Unlike the other kids at his age, he never fussed or acted selfish with his toys. His mother never complained about him in his younger years and to this day can't seem to recall a time in which Alex was in anyway difficult. "He was always an easy child, no tantrums to speak of," she explains. Compared to the other toddlers his age, Blanca Keogan was lucky to have had such a calm, nondestructive, and giving child.

Throughout the years, Alex's personality had flourished along with his maturity. Although he is merely nineteen years of age, he has been able to positively influence and uplift the lives of many through his good deeds. Thanks to his father, Bernard Keogan, Alex learned all the qualities which he possesses: determination, how to be a gentleman, and always being selfless. It's because of these teachings and the positive inspiration he's been that Alex refers to his father as his hero. His father has been the strongest influence in his life and had it not been for him, Alex would have never grown up to be so devoted to service.

To some, the mere action of sacrificing one's time and energy to help another is plenty of service for one day. On the contrary, Alex's mentality of always striving to go one step further truly shines through the memory of his favorite service day. On this occasion, he helped a family finish pack up and transfer their personal belongings to their newly bought house. On that same day, Alex helped an addition four families move as well. Although his selfless efforts left him physically drained the following day, he recalls the overpowering feeling of joy and eagerness to keep helping felt that day. Unfortunately, the satisfaction didn't last. Thoughts and ideas of how he might have been more proficient or helpful filled his mind. But instead of letting his mind overcome his happiness, he simply stretched and went out looking for another way to serve.

However, service is not always performed through physical actions or material gifts. Sometimes, the most impacting service is through giving selfless ever-lasting love. Along with most teenagers, Alex has had to overcome his fair share of troubles and disputes among peers. During his middle school years, he had to face bullying for being overweight. Then once in high school, problems with misinterpretations and religious arguments caused drama for Alex. Yet, these incidents only empowered him. He eventually lost weight, gained muscled, and became infatuated with basketball. And whenever a statement towards Mormons were mentioned within class, he'd proudly stand and declare himself a member. Not only was he never ashamed of his religious affiliations but never gave up a chance in class to talk or clear up any misunderstandings about his religion. When asked how his friends affected him throughout his life, Alex states: "The worse for my friends. The better for my foes. Friends are a good source in our life and bring us happiness. However, our enemies will give us the honest truth." Although his friends served him well and have been a good influence in his life, he believes that his foes have been an even better influence; because to him it's selfish to hold grudges or have hatred for a person, regardless of what a person may have said or done they are an important son or daughter of God who deserves to be treated like one.

Misfortune entered Alex's life when a close friend of his passed away at the young age of seventeen. As devastated as he was from hearing of the loss of his dear childhood friend, Alex quickly felt selfish. The knowledge that Heavenly Father has a plan for everyone reminded him that he must rejoice his friend's return home. However, his friend's family didn't contain the knowledge he knew. To him it was more important that the family and other friends be comforted rather than for him to feel sorrow for himself. At the service, he respectfully listened to the ceremony in silence. Afterwards, in an attempt to cheer everyone up, he told jokes and stories of good times he had shared with the deceased. Not only was the atmosphere of the room uplifted, but the loved ones felt blessed and relieved to have heard such wonderful things about their son, brother, and friend. Alex's humor brought more than just smiles and laughs that day; they created new everlasting memories into the lives of a mourning family.

The day I first met Alex will always be a memory to be treasured. My family and I had just moved into the neighborhood and although our mothers were really old childhood friends, I had not once seen him in person. I remember being angry and flustered having to move into a strange part of town in which I knew absolutely nobody. However, I also knew I had to act polite and kind when the Keogans arrived. Having already met the entire Keogan family prior to the move, for the exception of Alex, it was easy to find him through the crowd of hugs and greetings. His chocolaty brown hair swooshed as the wind tousled his curly locks. His deep blue eyes were possibly the most unrealistic color I'd ever seen that I could have sworn he was wearing contacts. Yet, it was his sincere and loving smile on his face during the process of transferring our belongings inside the house that made me feel calm and peaceful. Although but a simple gesture, it was his smile and positive words that helped me make it through that move.

Since then much has changed. Alexander is no longer the short, chubby, awkwardly happy kid he once was. He now stands at 6'1'', has replaced his fat for muscle, and although he might not be so awkward he's definitely become a much happier person. He's now Engineering major at Brigham Young University-Idaho and is planning on serving his mission within a few months. Although Alex might have changed physically and grown mentally, one thing that has yet to change is his heart. Some say that when a person is all-loving and self-giving that they have a "heart made of gold." However, I don't think this relates to Alex. Yes, he is a wonderful guy whose examples of countless acts of service have helped many people. But his heart isn't made of gold. His heart is made of skittles. Because although Alex may have the gift of humor and ability to cheer up anyone's day. The one and only thing that will always put a smile upon his face, regardless of how hard or stressful his day may have been, are skittles. And what better way to describe his upbeat, colorful, fun, and sweet spirit? The best part yet, is that just like his opinion on service; Alex can never have enough skittles to fill him up.
Within this day and age, materialism is everything. What you wear, what you drive, and where you live can say a lot about your personality and social standing. As nice as it is to have and be surrounded by fancy things, there comes a time in which one stops and realizes there are more important things in life.

Awesome!

In Alex's case it was the welfare of his beloved friend whose family at the time werewas undergoing some difficult financial issues.

and giving child.

---------- how about the word "generous" instead of giving?

On the contrary, Alex's mentality of always striving to go one step further truly shines through the memory of his favorite service day.

------------ I feel this needs to be rephrased to improve its clarity and presentation. You suddenly talks of a service day without giving the reader any clue before.

Home / Undergraduate / "Never Enough" - Profile Essay for my English 101 class