Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

'Enthusiasm, commitment, conscience, problem solving..' qualities to our institution

luying9682 6 / 35 6  
I'm applying to The Cooper Union and there are 13 questions... So if you see my posts all the time please understand me... Of course I won't post all the 13 questions here, or the Essay Forum might not be happy with me =[

What qualities do you feel you would bring to our institution?

Enthusiasm, commitment, conscience, problem solving and optimism are the qualities I would bring to The Cooper Union.

I am very enthusiastic about learning. Finding drawing appeals to me, I have taking drawing course since I was in kindergarten. As I discovered my passion for learning foreign languages, I took all the English class taught by foreign teachers in my school, and studied French at Alliance Francaise, a French teaching school sponsored by French goverment. Having strong interest in engineering since I was young, I caught all the learning chances when available: learn to use simple tools like screw drivers when fixing the CD player with my father and took Introduction to Electrical Engineering course to learn using welding tools to make a radio.

When facing a difficulty, I will face it and solve it instead of giving up. In the program SCEnaRioS: Water and Life, which encourages researches on water problems, our research group had a difficulty in getting statistics for analysis from the Internet. I helped our group overcome this difficulty by contacting the organizer and visiting the Water Monitor.

I'm a committed and conscientious person. During my participation in Destination Imagination (DI), a competition in creativity, problem solving and team-work, I, the team leader, made time table for my team and listed all the to-dos. I was always the first one to arrive at gathering place and the last one to leave. I presented at all the gatherings and conferences. Moreover, I succeeded in persuading the opponent teachers by introducing the program to them and winning the support of our school to go to the Global Finals held in Tennessee.

Whenever I was in trouble, I always look at the bright side. When our DI team was on our way back to China, we have to wait 6 hours for the transfer plane. My teammates were all frustrated, yet I told them we could then explore the whole Newark Airport. This optimistic suggestion cheered them up and avoided endless complains.

Home / Undergraduate / 'Enthusiasm, commitment, conscience, problem solving..' qualities to our institution