'The environment is important to me' - Why Emory Essay

RobLiu 1 / 1  
I'm not sure how to end this essay or if what I have is good. If anyone could help me with it, I would be very grateful.

What are the unique qualities of Emory University, and the specific school(s) to which you are applying (Emory College of Arts and Sciences, Oxford College, or both), that make you want to become part of Emory University? In what ways do you hope to take advantage of the qualities you have identified?

Emory University has made a difference in the world. After reading several brochures and spending time on Emory University's website, Wikipedia page and watching several videos from the Emory University Youtube Channel, I have realized exactly what separates Emory from other universities, while many universities say what they want to do for the future, Emory takes action. This is especially evident in Emory's alumni and faculty and efforts in sustainability.

From Republican Primary Candidate Newt Gingrich to the award winning writer Salman Rushdie, Emory's alumni and faculty contain many of the most influential people in the world. Emory's almost intimidating list of notable alumni and world famous faculty is one of many signs of Emory's devotion to providing a quality education. While a quality education is something offered by many schools, only Emory gives students the opportunity to meet the Dalai Lama Tenzin Gyatso or former United States President Jimmy Carter, both of whom I would be honored to meet.

The environment is important to me, whether it's the parks around my house or the beaches and forests I have visited, nature has played a huge role in my life. I am impressed by the actions Emory has taken in sustainability such as building LEED certified buildings, serving sustainable and local foods and preserving the wildlife on its land. I am even more impressed by Emory's additional efforts to include students in these plans, and between the Educational Food Gardens, Sustainable Food Fair, Emory/Oxford Farm and computers tracking utility usage in the dormitories, Emory students have more than a few chances to get involved.

While both Emory College of Arts and Sciences and Oxford College both offer rigorous academic curriculums they offer distinctly different learning environments. I have had the opportunity to live in a large city environment throughout my childhood. I have enjoyed this opportunity but I believe it may be time for a change of pace. After assessing my options, I believe Oxford College would be the best option to have the opportunity to try a different learning environment while having both the resources of a larger university and the academic rigor of Emory University.

This is where I don't know what to write. I'm applying to both the College of Arts and Sciences and Oxford College so I think I should change up the last paragraph. Thanks in advance.
Mureille - / 18  
Both colleges are under Emory University so you're fine for the last sentence.

However, I don't feel like you really said much about yourself and how you would take advantage of these qualities that you've mentioned.

But you really seem like you did your research.
runhenry 4 / 5  
overall, it' good. But you neglect to mention your personal passions and interests. They know how good they are. They want to know if you are a good match for them, so be sure to single out some of your strengths that match theirs
OP RobLiu 1 / 1  
So I realized that I needed to shorten it down to 250 words so here's what I changed it into.

Emory University has made a difference in the world. After reading brochures and spending time on Emory University's website, Wikipedia page and the Emory University Youtube Channel, I have realized exactly what separates Emory from other universities. While many universities say what they want to do for the future, Emory takes action. Emory made me realize that I want to make a difference and not just study people who have.

From Republican Primary Candidate Newt Gingrich to the award winning writer Salman Rushdie, Emory's alumni and faculty contain many of the most influential people in the world. The alumni and faculty of Emory speak for the quality of education Emory offers. While a quality education is something offered by many schools, only Emory gives students the opportunity to meet the Dalai Lama or former President Jimmy Carter, both of whom I would be honored to meet; however, education is not the only thing that is important to me. The environment has always been important to me and I am impressed by Emory's efforts to include students in increasing sustainability, and between the Educational Food Gardens, Sustainable Food Fair, Emory/Oxford Farm and computers tracking utility usage in the dormitories, Emory students have more than a few chances to get involved.

It is Emory's mission, "to create, preserve, teach and apply knowledge in the service of humanity" and there is no better time than the present for this attitude. What better time to join this mission than today?
singh955 7 / 36  
It is lacking a personal tone, but overall, it will suffice.

By the way, I'm applying to Emory too!
Good luck for both of us!

Could you look at my Emory essay also? Thanks in advance

Home / Undergraduate / 'The environment is important to me' - Why Emory Essay