Essay about the environment and how we can improve it

d0ntkn0w 2 / -  
I grew up in a environment where pollution, disease, and other problems are a big issue. Cars and factories release greenhouse gasses into the air, and forests are being cut down. In other countries, many people are behind on cures for diseases. Many people talk about how the polar ice caps are melting and the ozone layer depleting. An Inconvenient Truth opened my eyes to see how today's technology and garbage affect these environmental disasters, and I want to do something about it.

I do some things to make myself more environmentally friendly. I walk to school instead of driving because I live about two blocks away. I also take the bus when I go downtown or my friend's house. When I need to get somewhere and many people are going, I carpool with some friends. I recycle any cardboard boxes and milk cartons, and I reuse water bottles and fill them with filtered tap water instead of buying more water. I take short showers and I don't leave the facet on when I am brushing my teeth.

At school, I am constantly learning about the environment and how we are affecting it. I noticed recycle and compost bins in the cafeteria and an old Asian woman picking up cans and bottles in the gym. In the A.P. Environmental Science class, I see how other third world countries are less fortunate than us and how we just dump our trash in their countries. We need to find a way to use less resources and produce less trash so other countries can improve their standard of living.

During the summer of 2008, I was a intern at North East Medical Services (NEMS), which is a clinic near Chinatown. I worked as a lab technical assistant and they had strict safety regulations. I always had to wash my hands and wear latex gloves because I was transporting blood samples. My mentor told me that a clean work place reduces the chance of people spreading any diseases. He also told me that many people are ill because their houses or work places are unsanitary.

A clean environment is good for everyone, but we are far from one. If we continue what we are doing, most of our natural resources would be gone and our future generations would have nothing to survive on. We should focus more on renewable energy sources like the wind, sun, and maybe even rain instead of wasting all of our fossil fuels. We also need to do more with our trash instead of burning or burying it. I hope that if apply my studies to environmental problems and coming up with a solution to them, I can help make a better future for everyone.
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Good evening :)

In regards to mechanics, make sure you are capitalizing only proper nouns and the first words of sentences; for instance, "Environmental Science" shouldn't be capitalized. Also, "facet" should be "faucet."

"I hope that if I apply..."

In regards to content, I think it's a great essay. You use good examples from your life and apply them to greater society. You are well organized and the piece flows evenly. Your intro grabs the attention, and your conclusion wraps everything up nicely. Good work!

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com

Home / Undergraduate / Essay about the environment and how we can improve it