'esteemed professors in music' - NYU Short Answer Essay

corinak 1 / -  
NYU's global network provides students with hundreds of academic areas of interest for students to cultivate their intellectual curiosity and to help achieve their career goals. Whether you are entirely undecided about your academic plans or you have a definitive program of study in mind, what are your own academic interests? Feel free to share any thoughts on any particular programs or how you might explore those interests at NYU on any of our campuses.

The overwhelming applause resonates in my ears as I find my seat on stage and sit down. The intense spotlight is much too bright to look anywhere other than straight ahead at my music, but I try to get a glance of the audience anyway. A sea of eyes greets mine, but I notice how every member in the audience is smiling. Their expressions exude much more than pride. Some are starting to tear, and the music hadn't even begun to play yet. It was then, in my 5th grade All-County orchestra, that I understood why musicians committed to what they did every day. Why they practiced so hard; why perfection was so dire and nothing less should be executed during rehearsal.

At the NYU Steinhardt School in New York City, there is no better place to cultivate the passion, love, and education for an up and coming musician. I have already had the privilege of being taught by three of NYU's esteemed professors in music; all of whom were also violists, like I. Their expectations were not found on a technicality scale, but based on how much they could facilitate my playing ability to make me a better player. Their intensity and push for hard work motivated me, and I found myself realizing that weariness was not an excuse for mediocrity.

From such an experience, I know that New York City is the best choice for its music. The options are endless, from performances found from the subway, to concert halls at Carnegie Hall. Becoming a musician is a profession I'd wanted to become since I was a child, and I find no better place than NYU-NY.
ljy9152 4 / 12 1  
Nice essay! As a cellist, I totally understand how you feel; nice vivid details in the beginning too.

But I feel vague about this essay. I understand your love for the music and all that, but why does it seem like it would fit more to the short essay in common app? (I am just assuming that you are applying through common app. Remember there are one short essay and one main essay to turn in essay section?)

So, I was thinking that you could improve your essay by listing what you could do in NYC when you get accepted as a music major like performing in public to have different feeling from performing officially on stage, or if you are not specifically applying for performing arts major, maybe writing a song (or orchestral piece in this case) about the city?

That will actually make your essay more unique.

GOOD LUCK!
gpoudrie 2 / 2  
You truly do an excellent job of avoiding the death trap this is kissing the college's butt. Your association with NYU faculty definitely puts you in good stead as a music school applicant.

I agree with ljy9152's suggestion to include a few specific details on your personal interaction with the surrounding campus environment if accepted. They know that you can watch performers NYC's various stages, be it in the subway or Carnegie Hall. These admissions officers live there, so be as original as possible!

Overall, you seem to be a ver strong candidate for Steinhardt.
Best of luck!!

Home / Undergraduate / 'esteemed professors in music' - NYU Short Answer Essay