Ms. Eun's Lecture: Purdue essay

lovelynight 1 / -  
Hello please check my essay and comment. I'll really appreciate it!

- What is the best advice you have ever received? Describe how it has helped you and how you have used it.

Entering the middle school, I was scared at the pressure to get good grades. Many teachers and parents said my grades in middle school were as important as those in high school because high school education was based on middle school. So getting good grades in middle school could guarantee having them in high school. Lecture time was longer and more difficult than before. I did my best to catch up lectures and prepare the midterm exam but I had no certainty whether I was doing right.

Finally the exam date came. I was nervous because it was the first test that I took in middle school. I felt like this test would determine my entire middle school scores. Because of nervousness, the test was horrible. After getting my report card, I was depressed and sorry for my parents about letting them down since they had high expectation on me. After the exam, my homeroom teacher, Ms. Eun, taught the class a valuable lesson. She said if we graph a person's ability versus time, it will look like a butterfly's complete metamorphosis graph, which looks like a stair. To improve your skill or scores, you should put your much time and work hard just like a caterpillar. The improvement might not be seen soon because you are a caterpillar yet. You should wait and keep working until you become a pupa. It might take a while but you should not give up because you might be a step behind to the goal.

I have remembered this lecture whenever I am tired of keep working and want to give up. Then I think, "Right, I might be just a step behind the goal. I should keep this up." It has encouraged me and influenced me greatly. Without it, I would have gone back to Korea since getting used to new culture and school was very difficult for me. Without it, I would have not moved up to concert band because the audition was competitive and I was the only player who had just started learning the oboe.

Every time I encounter hardships, I remember Ms. Eun's lecture and do not give up but work hard to be a butterfly.
Entering the middle school, I was scared because of the pressure to get good grades.

...since they had high expectations of me.

To improve your skill or scores, you should put in more time and work hard just like a caterpillar.

I have remembered this lecture whenever I am tired of keep working and want to give up.

... Korea, since getting used toa new culture and school was very difficult for me.

Without it, I would not have moved up to concert band, because the audition was competitive and I was the only player who had just started learning the oboe.

You play the oboe? I love the oboe!

Home / Undergraduate / Ms. Eun's Lecture: Purdue essay