What event or experience is important to you and why is important?

kenni0821 1 / -  
Please write an essay, approximately 500-700 words (typically one page) in length on one of the following topics. Check the box for your topic.

Here is my topic:

( )USC's speaker series What Matters to Me and Why asks faculty and staff to reflect on their values, beliefs, and motivations. Presenters talk about choices they have made, difficulties encountered and commitments solidified. Write an essay about an event or experience that helped you learn what is important to you and why it is important. ______________________________________________________________________ ____________

As usual, I open my eyes around seven in the morning; but nothing change on me. I am still the one such as a car without wheels. Since fourth grades, I have been broke my ankle so frequently and did not recover fully; this cause me spent most of the time on a wheelchair. In 2006, I had a serious surgery of my right ankle with its only eighty percent's of cure rate; it was an extremely hard time for me. After the surgery, I strongly understand why a car with flat tire cannot even move on the road. Similarly, I could not move or even walk step of the way by myself with my injured right foot after dissipated of the discovery of the anesthetic. I knew that I could not be having as active as before after this serious surgical operation. It feels like there are no hopes and glories in front of my sight in my life. Without healthy feet, I barely went outside and talked to people. It makes me feel embarrassed and shame about what I looked like back to that period of time. Moreover, I was getting more negative and less energetic of facing my life on the wheel chair or even just lying on the bed.

It was not easy to get over and cheer up with the current circumstances. However, by looking my parents were getting sadder, worrier, and gaunter because of me; I knew that it was the time for me to show my parents that I would take out my will power and determination to prove them I will invigorate and get better to face my difficulties. After a year of tough rehabilitation program, I finally stood up by myself and took the first step in front of my family on my seventeenth birthday. I deeply appreciate the moment when I stood up again after the long-term cultivation. At the same time, I could fully understand why and how people said "Oh, god! Luckily I do have my spare tire with me and get fixed finally!"

As a Chinese proverb goes, Life is not a purpose, if it say so, then the final purpose is death; life is a process, once you take the first step is successful." Looking back to this unforgettable and meaningful experience, nothing can stop me to do and reach my goal since then. I did learn what is says "Never Give Up!" Not only the attitude to face the life but also in any different aspects such as the days when I first came to the foreign country to start my new life. To know that whenever I face the problems or hard time I need calmly deal with the current difficulties. The most important to me of this lesson is that once I try, things will be changed and turns out different results because I will never know what is going to happen in the next minutes no matter is good or bad. "Worse, it just so." from psychologist Mr. Chang. Why is this important to me? What I know is never looking what I lost but looks at what I have, also, optimistic people will see the success of opportunity from frustrations instead of the pessimistic people will only see the failure coming. Every kind of problems and frustrations will enrich my life. As long as I have courage and perseverance to deal with all the obstructions, then, everything is going be fine. "Every cloud has a silver lining." Never give up is the most important thing I learn from the experience.
donrocks 5 / 120  
Kenni... the point needs to be more emotional. The sentences and words are sounding of whiner and not of a winner.

Since fourth grades, I have been broke my ankle so frequently and did not recover fully; this cause me spent most of the time on a wheelchair.

Your starting is a very bland. AND THE ENGLISH IS WRONG---ALL TENSES IN ONE SENTENCE!!!

Talk about how looking at other kids accomplishing so many little things that we do not value made me realize how important every small thing is life. I have learnt to be more appreciative of life. Keep thinking and you will come up with more points.

Parents need not be mentioned in that way. Say it did depress me for sometime but it was motivation from my parents and-----(anyone you can think off).

It was not easy as everyday I had to watch others around yet I went on.... some thing in me had lit the fire to rise above all odds. Think of something more provocative and emotional.

Hope this helps... :)
Guest /  

I think this should be written:
Since the forth grade I have broken my ankle many times and have not fully recovered; this has caused me to spend most of my life in a wheelchair

you do not need a comma at the beginning, there are also many small typos such as
"Never give up is the most important thing I learnED from the experience."
simply proof reading and rewording would help you greatly
tanyasilva11 10 / 38  
your grammar needs a lot of work. you should go back and revise this to ensure proper grammatical usage.

Home / Undergraduate / What event or experience is important to you and why is important?