Everybody is special ; Penwasciz Medical Prog - Whycareer in healthcare

Evergreen22 1 / 1  
"When the present seems unstable and the future unlikely, the natural response is to retreat and withdraw from reality, taking recourse either in fantasies of the future or in modified visions of a half-imagined past."

This sentence came from a graphic novel by Alan Moore, one of my favorite writers. His was such a simple take on such a complex subject - it was poetic, and thoughtful, and intensely profound.

And I loved it.

It created an image of insanity as a simple dream made to escape a harsh reality. At the time, my view of psychiatry was rather embellished and childish, but Moore's words sparked an interest in the field that I wouldn't have discovered any other way; and as I researched more and more about it, I was able to find something that I was passionate about - something that I never wanted to stop learning about.

As I lay in my bed one night, reading Moore's V for Vendetta, there was something he wrote that I'll never forget:

"Everybody is special. Everybody. Everybody is a hero, a lover, a fool, a villain. Everybody. Everybody has their story to tell."

Too often are those with mental health issues ignored and disregarded - thought of as people not worth our care. But Moore's words are true: everyone has a story to tell. And no matter who they are, or what they've done, or what problems they may be struggling with, they deserve the chance to be heard.

And I would be more than happy to listen.

~ I know that it seems really short, but it's meant to be. I just hope it answers the question in a personal way - it was difficult with such little room to write. I appreciate any and all feedback.
krisi2506 1 / 2  
I think your essay is really good-I enjoyed reading it. You did justice to it's short length. It's not always easy to convey your passions in 250 words, yet you managed to do so. The way you built up the introduction to reveal your passion for psychiatry is very unique and interesting. The only slight constructive criticism I have is on the quotes. They are really appropriate but they take up a lot of words that you could otherwise use to further elaborate on yourself and why YOU want to pursue this dream. The opening quote really sets the tone of your essay, but the second is a little bit unnecessary. That's just my opinion though, hope it helps!
OP Evergreen22 1 / 1  
Thank you so much for the advice ^.^ I got to it a bit late, but I agree with you on the quotes. Unfortunately, I didn't make the program - it was very difficult to be accepted. Maybe next year, though haha

Home / Undergraduate / Everybody is special ; Penwasciz Medical Prog - Whycareer in healthcare