'Everyone makes mistakes' - common app essay

cgleal5 1 / 1  
When I close my eyes I can still recall the scent of the lemon trees, the lazy thump of the cattle's hoofs as they move forward, and my dad smiling from atop his horse. These remnants of a shattered memory make up my most significant life experience. I can see my dad open his mouth and say something, but as hard as I try, I can't recall the sound of his voice. He died shortly after this horseback-riding trip at his farm. Now, eleven years later, I still horseback ride. Although now I ride at a stable and not a farm, I still remember my dad every time I jump.

As I approach a jump, apprehension and excitement take a hold of me, yet when it comes to the final stride before the jump I let go of everything; those three seconds when my horse and I are flying through the air, we are free. Nothing matters when you are in the air. It is too late to change the take-of, and it's not yet time to think about the landing. As we rush to meet the ground we prepare ourselves for the next jump; as the horse's hoof make contact with the soil underneath us my eyes are already glued to the next obstacle. We move towards the obstacle, deciding how best to approach it. Losing my father was like a jump; I can't change what happened, and I can't live my life holding on to the past. I have learned to live with the loss, and treasure the memory of my dad.

Every day I think about him, and remember him, but I have learned to let go and accept things for what they are.

This lesson that life has taught me has helped me, not only with the passing of my dad, but also in life. Letting go of the past, and remaining focused on the future is how I have gotten through life. Everyone makes mistakes, but when I do I try not to dwell on them, and choose instead to embrace my errors and strive to do better in the future.

As I prepare myself for college, and the responsibilities that come with higher education, I realize this is a time for decision-making. The choices we make now will influence who we will become as we grow and set the course for the rest of our lives. Going through such a loss at an early age, forced me to accept change and taught me to make decisions. I face this next jump with the experiences and knowledge I have gained throughout the years; accepting, understanding, and embracing my flaws.
Although now I ride at a stable and not on a farm, I still remember my dad every time I jump.

As I approach a jump, apprehension and excitement take a hold of me, yet when it comes to the final stride before the jump I let go of everything; for those three seconds when my horse and I are flying through the air, we are free.

Nothing matters when you are in the air. It is too late to change the take-off , and it's not yet time to think about the landing.

As we rush to meet the ground we prepare ourselves for the next jump; as the horse's hoof make contact with the soil underneath us, my eyes are already glued to the next obstacle.

The choices we make now will influence who we will become, as we grow and set the course for the rest of our lives.

You are an amazing writer! Please take some creative writing classes, so you can get the praise and feedback that you deserve. Your essay shows your thoughtfulness, intelligence, maturity and perseverance. Good luck with school and have fun.

:)
OP cgleal5 1 / 1  
Thanks so much! really helpful :)

Home / Undergraduate / 'Everyone makes mistakes' - common app essay