"everything about people's behavior" - unique qualities that attract you the College

avannieker 1 / 1  
"... And the brain is probably the most unstudied part of the body. It controls everything we do, and we barely even know what 'everything' consists of..." This is how it all began. In a small white room lit with blinding fluorescent lights. There wasn't a hint of greenery, and the only source of natural light came from the tiny window six feet above the floor. It was the perfect setting for our psychologist guest speaker. White walls and bright lights, but if he didn't pick up the pace, it would be where we all landed up. He had the most drawling, hypnotizing voice you would ever hear. He reminded me of the teachers' voice off of Charlie Brown. "This is no doubt, the worst field of study to go into." I thought. "It's as bland as my cooking and as boring as all the math theorems combined." The rest of the lecture passed in the unwritten code of boredom. Smile, nod when they look at you, maintain some eye contact, and appear to have an epiphany every ten to twelve minutes...

Three months. (I counted the days too, that's how obsessed I was at one point). I have often wondered if our guest speaker had somehow hypnotized us into becoming suddenly obsessed with the study of the brain. In fact, I want to one day find out if you can actually do that. But just three months after he left, I couldn't get enough of the theories, the studies, the diagrams, charts, pictures, journals and experiments. I felt I was brain starved. Everywhere I went, I would find myself at one point or another staring at someone and wondering why they did this or that, instead of something else. Whenever I had a random thought, I would instantly try to figure out why I had that thought. I could usually figure out where it came from, and thus figured that there really is no such thing as a random thought. I sadly noted later on that someone had already come to that conclusion. I hammered these "hobbies" so well into my head that I could pick up on anyone's mood in an instant. But no matter how mundane, or how many times I saw someone doing the same thing, it remained a fascination.

I want to know everything about people's behavior, and if I can't know everything, I want to go farther than anyone else ever has. The University of Michigan has the second best psychology department in the United States. In my heart though, it's first. And with such a vast amount of areas to go into, I can study to my hearts content and figure out which of the amazing courses I like best. The college of Literature, Science and Arts will get me where I need to be, and beyond. I'll achieve everything I've wanted to be, and everything I've wanted to do. Getting into Michigan won't be great, it'll be a-Maize-ing.
Llamapoop123 7 / 442  
I am actually a freshman right now at UM!

Getting into Michigan won't be great, it'll be a-Maize-ing.

^Funny, but this shouldn't be in your essay.

I was a little confused throughout your essay. I don't get how the guest speaker has to do with anything and neither do you apparently:

I have often wondered if our guest speaker had somehow hypnotized us into becoming suddenly obsessed with the study of the brain.

Maybe you should cut down on the intro since I don't see what you're trying to do with it and maybe talk more in depth about how psych intrigues you.

Whenever I had a random thought, I would instantly try to figure out why I had that thought. I could usually figure out where it came from, and thus figured that there really is no such thing as a random thought. I sadly noted later on that someone had already come to that conclusion. I hammered these "hobbies" so well into my head that I could pick up on anyone's mood in an instant.

^I don't think that you're really explaining what you want to explain here. Maybe take some more time in developing this section.

Maybe you're dissatisfied with current contributions to the field of psych so you want to bring yourself into the area. Maybe you feel that many of your ideas are already a part of psych and you want to know how much stuff there is to learn about it. It'd be nice to know what you plan to do with this information.

I like to think about thoughts and U of M has the 2nd best department for thinking about thoughts is probably not enough.

In my heart though, it's first.
OP avannieker 1 / 1  
the guest speaker introduced me to psychology.

"I have often wondered if our guest speaker had somehow hypnotized us into becoming suddenly obsessed with the study of the brain."
(2nd sentance, 2nd paragraph)

is my link too suttle? i'm sorry these late nights are getting to me. what exactly is confusing in the essay?
Llamapoop123 7 / 442  
^It just seems odd that a guest speaker that was so boring sparked your interest in psych. Your interest seems to develop independent of his influence so that's why I said that the guest speaker part was a little confusing.

Home / Undergraduate / "everything about people's behavior" - unique qualities that attract you the College