I am not exactly sure about what I wish to study ; NYU supp/ Academic interests

awakemysoul 3 / 8 1  
Here is the prompt: NYU's global network provides students with hundreds of academic areas of interest for students to cultivate their intellectual curiosity and to help achieve their career goals. Whether you are entirely undecided about your academic plans or you have a definitive program of study in mind, what are your own academic interests? Feel free to share any thoughts on any particular programs or how you might explore those interests at NYU on any of our campuses.

Any opinions/help as to if I actually answered the question or if i should add anything etc would be appreciated!!! Thank you!

As I am not exactly sure about what I wish to study later on, some people might translate that as not having any passions or interests. However, I think it means I have too many. Because so many things interest me, I have never found it possible to be able to only pick one or two things I'm sure about wanting to study. There are just too many things I haven't experienced yet, things I haven't even heard of or people I haven't met. How at such a young age am I supposed to come up with a response to the question "What would you like to do later on?".

That is why I believe the College of Arts and Sciences would be the perfect fit for someone like me, not sure enough yet about my interests to pick a major, but would still have the opportunities to learn and study various and vast areas of subjects, so as to figure out from there what it is that I will want to study.

In any case, I know that New York City and NYU in particular is a place where I will be able to study whatever it is I decide on- whether it will be music, economy, film, writing or something completely different. And this is only possible considering the programs it has in various departments- such as for music, Steinhardt's department of music, or for film, the Tisch School of the Arts- but I will also be able to incorporate all of these passions I have in a very intellectually stimulating place: New York City.
zdv 12 / 68 2  
i like your essay. we share the same feelings about having too many interests. however i think saying how am i supposed to choose a major as such a young age is not quite appropriate. firstly, not everybody might view you as young and second, many others of your age already have. so i would suggest cutting that out. also, i think you should write about your academic interests a bit more. you list a few in you essay but try to respond to why you like them too. i think that would do your essay much good.
ceandrews95 4 / 7 1  
As I am not exactly sure unsure about what I wish to study later on, some people might translate that as not having any passions or interests.

Because so many things interest me, I have never found it possible found it impossible to be able to only pick only one or two things I'm sure about wanting to study fields of further study.

How at such a young age am I supposed to come up with a response does one expect me to reply to the question "What would you like to do later on?".

That is why I believe the College of Arts and Sciences would be the perfect fit for someone like me. Through this college, I would utilize the opportunity to experience what each major has to offer and then make an informed decision on my major.

These are just some suggestions. If you visited the campus, you should definitely mention that in the essay as it will justify why you think NYU is the best fit for you. Is there a word limit for this essay?

All the best with your applications!!!

Home / Undergraduate / I am not exactly sure about what I wish to study ; NYU supp/ Academic interests