My Exchange Year--elaborate on one of your activities

gracetm 6 / 13  
Is this too general? Should it be more detailed and elaborated?
Any suggestion or editing would be greatly appreciated. Thanx:)

My exchange year was not as expected a super fun year, but it substantially raised my intellectual as well as spiritual level. The first day I arrived, my host dad presented me a picture of the top of the pyramid, and had been guiding me towards there ever since. I worked hard and played hard. By participating in volunteer work, such as Canned-Food Drive, I fulfilled the spirit of giving and experienced the power of this American virtue. The people I met and troubles I encountered apart from home helped me reconsider many things that I had used to take for granted. I better comprehended the love of my Chinese family; I learnt to influence others with my active spirit; I saw a more objective picture of my role in each community I had been involved. From this year, I gained independence, confidence, and maturity. (145 words)
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
I like the conclusion of this piece, but I'm not sure the beginning and middle match it. For instance, what is the pyramid you refer to? Why was the year not as fun as you anticipated? This last one probably requires more explication than you have word count for, but I'm trying to use it to make a point :)

Perhaps sticking to the "American virtue" in your opening would help streamline this piece.

I hope this helps.

Home / Undergraduate / My Exchange Year--elaborate on one of your activities