I was excited to learn about the Liberal Studies Core Program at NYU. "Why NYU" Writing Supplement

lillianasss 1 / -  
I was excited to learn about the Liberal Studies Core Program at NYU. A program offering small, discussion-based classes, an interdisciplinary curriculum, and the freedom to explore a range of subjects in the liberal arts directly aligns with what I am looking for in a university. I will have the opportunity and support to explore a range of interests, from philosophy to environmental sustainability, before committing to my selected major. Based on the small class size and close student-teacher interaction, it seems that Core Program faculty are genuinely interested in their students as individuals. I am drawn to the progressive values of The Liberal Studies Core Program at NYU, and the opportunity to fulfill the liberal arts requirements of a Bachelor's Degree within the first two years. Additionally, I am excited to have the opportunity to explore campuses away from New York. Having participated in two Spanish immersion programs in Spain during high school, I'm eager to continue studies at NYU academic centers in Europe. As I continue to research NYU Liberal Studies, I have learned of a diverse group of students and faculty who encourage exploration and discovery not only within the Core Program but throughout NYU. It seems that being open to and interested in areas beyond what you are already familiar with, culturally, socially, and academically, are consistent elements of the experience of being a Liberal Studies Core Program student at NYU.
The first part of your essay is just a rehash of the well known information about NYU and can be found within any blog, website, or youtube search. It is generic in information and doesn't really stand out as unique reasons to wish to attend NYU. This review applies to the first half of your statement. So you should remove the first half of your current statement and only present the second half that deals with your desire to attend NYU because you were drawn to their progressive values, etc.

Develop your response to the statement on a more personal note. Strive to project a genuine interest in enrolling at NYU based upon a personal and academic development that you feel you can only gain at the university. Activities and student organizations that you may enjoy participating in at the university could also fall under this category unless there is a prompt regarding pursuing your intellectual interests at the university that you should respond to separately.
EditorPal - / 19 6  
Hi, @lillianasss.

What you have written is good; however, in answering this simple question (i.e., Why NYU), you may want to elaborate on your responses at greater length or develop a different idea. Try to explicate your excitement in the most creative way possible. Here are some questions to address in your next draft:

(1) How will you take advantage of the global network?
(2) What clubs do you want to get involved in?
(3) What do you want to study?

By the way, you have already done a great job of not talking about New York City (NYC). Keep it that way.

Should you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
karenL 1 / 3  
I think you can stay focus on "why are you good fit for the program"
Also I think you should give specific reasons why you want to study this program instead of giving informations that can be found on the internet(the first paragraph)
chizy7 6 / 52 14  
The essay question states: WHY NYU but from your response you are responding to THIS IS NYU. I guess that while you were searching for colleges to apply to you had or have something specifically you were looking out for, something personal and that's what they meant by asking Why NYU. So write about why NYU fits into what you are looking out for in a college and the response should not always be about academics because I guess major parts of the application reflects your academic and intellectual promise. The college getting to know you better (your interests and so on) is really a plus.

Home / Undergraduate / I was excited to learn about the Liberal Studies Core Program at NYU. "Why NYU" Writing Supplement