'My experience with forensics' - Common App

JessEllen 3 / 3  
Like typical Asian American parents, mine were quick to expose me to variety of extracurricular activities when I was young. Part of my childhood days were spent shuffling from tennis courts and soccer fields to piano and violin lessons. While I was becoming average at each, my parents weren't satisfied with the results, and I eventually gave up all but violin. Then, in my sophomore year, I discovered a new hobby. It was an activity I found the most meaningful to me and I joined out of my own interest. Forensics.

Having no previous experience in acting, speech, or debate, I initially struggled with forensics. With an unmotivated team captain and busy coaches, I was left to coach myself. I spent hours standing in front of a mirror practicing my speech, hand gestures, and movement to near perfection. I even developed a post-tournament routine to study why certain competitors did better than others. There were countless times I analyzed judges' critique sheets, revised my speech, and rebuilt my visuals. I yearned so badly to improve my performance, and through the progress, I fell in love with forensics.

Everything about forensics is invigorating. I love the energy that flows through my veins as I burst into the opening lines of my speech. Wearing a suit and four-inch heels for eleven hours at tournaments is uncomfortable, but in the end it's all worth it. By the end of my first season, I was the second in the region and the seventh in the state for Sales Speaking. I even won first in Novice State Competition in the same year. Nothing beats the feeling of accomplishing goals driven purely by passion. When I was younger, I never felt the urge to hit my tennis racket harder or practice piano longer. There was no passion and no will power inside me. But when I lift my head to begin my speech in front of the judges, competitors, and audience members, I feel it.

My experience with forensics has been not only meaningful, but also rewarding. Before I joined, I was timid and insecure. Forensics has given me the opportunity to share my voice with the world and along the way, taught me social skills, and further solidified a state of self-confidence. Additionally, forensics has taught me how to manage failures. Standing on stage at the state tournament this past May, I prayed to win the first place. Although I was crushed when it was announced I was the fourth, I have since taken my disappointment and turned it into motivation. As captain this year, I am determined to work hard and prepare not only myself but my team for the upcoming season. Although we are moving up a division, I am more confident than ever to continue Andover's legacy as forensics state champions.
sohaibsiddiqui 3 / 18  
I enjoyed reading your essay. Its very good, just little tweaking here and there might help (read it a coupla more times and dont get too critical.) You can if you want to tone it down a bit, otherwise i would say a good effort.

Home / Undergraduate / 'My experience with forensics' - Common App