An experience through which you have gained respect for you differencies.

elthano 3 / 2  
Share an experience through which you have gained respect for intellectual, social, or cultural differences. Comment on how your personal experiences and achievements would contribute to the diversity of the University of Michigan.

Two years ago I went to a summer school in England. It was the first time that I traveled abroad without my family, and it was an amazing experience. For the first time in my life, I felt different. Everyone there seemed to behave and think differently from what I expected. However, I knew that it was vital for me to adapt. Why? Because we live in a global community so we need to understand and appreciate the differences amongst nations in order to live harmoniously in this World.

An example of such differences is the following: Greek people typically greet each other with a hug and a kiss while British people are more reserved and they avoid any unnecessary contact. Conversations amongst Greeks are loud and animated, unlike those of British people that tend to be less noisy and more controlled. I quickly learned that what Greeks often see as "coldness" in English people is simply a sincere respect of privacy.

Regarding my contribution to the University's diversity, I believe that the most important one is my Greek heritage. Many of my British friends were very interested in Greek history, language, and way of life. For example, they asked why science, medicine and mathematical terms come from Greek. I explained to them that the ancient Greeks were pioneers in these fields. In my opinion, the variety of nationalities in a University is an opportunity for students to learn about other cultures and gain respect and appreciation for others.
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Good afternoon.

The middle paragraph seems a bit too stiff for my liking; how about softening it? Something such as, "An example of these differences is the warmth with which the Greek people greet each other with." And go on from there.

Also, make sure you are not randomly capitalizing words that are not proper nouns or words beginning sentences.
Otherwise, a nice response to the prompt.

Home / Undergraduate / An experience through which you have gained respect for you differencies.