Experience for intellectual, social, or cultural differences, essay U of M

timothyerdei 4 / 16  
Any tips would help! Grammar, sentence structure, flow. Thanks

Short Answer Question (Approximately 250 words)
Make sure your name and the question text are at the top of each page.
"We know that diversity makes us a better university -- better for learning, for teaching, and for conducting research."
(U-M President Mary Sue Coleman)

Share an experience through which you have gained respect for intellectual, social, or cultural differences. Comment on how your personal experiences and achievements would contribute to the diversity of the University of Michigan.

Please include a one-inch margin on each page of your document.

One of the most significant cultural experiences I have encountered, began at the age of sixteen at my current place of employment. With owners, managers, and a majority of the workers being of the Filipino nationality, I was immediately immersed in a strange and new environment. Tagalog, the primary language of the Philippines, was spoken frequently among my Filipino colleagues, and was something I was not familiar with. Many different types of cuisines were also presented to me that I had not encountered before. Some of which I was reluctant to try.

Despite the dissimilarities I had already encountered, I began to build relationships, as well as friendships, with my new found coworkers. Through these friendships I began to discover new and exciting things about the Filipino culture. A few aspects, such as their deeply rooted devotion to family and high esteem of elders, are vastly different than what I was accustomed to. However, many characteristics, such as their educational system and religious beliefs, are very similar to those of the United States.These similarities have helped me come to the realization that although we may come from completely different backgrounds, we all share some commonalities.

Through these experiences, I have gained an appreciation not only for the Filipino culture, but for all cultures. An appreciation that I can contribute to any situation of cultural differences, including that of the University of Michigan.
hasnaahmed 3 / 21  
Good experience.
you have a better chance to make it better.
Opening sentence is too general.
First line can be a line in fillipino language. Let's say the first day you went to work one of your co worker asked you something in their language. You felt embarassed, sad. They made fun of you. Then you realized there is nothing to be sad about the fact. You tried to learn more about their cultutre, langugae. Share something very important to you about their cultutre. Make a story.

Admissions office like to here stroy not general statement.
One of the most significant cultural experiences I have encountered began at the age of sixteen at my current place of employment.

Despite the dissimilarities I had already encountered, I began to build relationships, including friendships, with my new found coworkers.

Through these experiences, I have gained an appreciation not only for the Filipino culture, but for all cultures -- an appreciation that I can contribute to any situation of cultural differences, including that of the University of Michigan.

Home / Undergraduate / Experience for intellectual, social, or cultural differences, essay U of M