My experience in Khayelitsha; Peace Corps - challenge and your success

ljm9304 1 / 1  

My Visit to South Africa

In 1990 the citizens of South Africa found themselves in the midst of a historical uprising. The country's black and colored population had grown tired of the legalized oppression made possible by the Apartheid government and decided to kick their fight for freedom into a higher gear. Twenty years later I had the opportunity to live, learn, and work with the township residents who experienced the wrath of Apartheid first hand.

While I'd love to say that I went into the situation without any reservations that would be a lie. I was traveling into the unknown to live with people who I saw as being worlds apart from my life in America. Although I have a genuine desire to experience other cultures, there was no way to get around the initial fears and worries. Fortunately, as I had expected, all the myths about these people and their community were quickly dispelled. It was obvious that even a person who lived on the opposite side of the world wasn't all that different from me. This became readily more apparent as I began to volunteer in their communities HIV soup kitchen and pre-school.

In a matter of days I transformed from a slightly apprehensive foreigner into a confident and functioning member of their community. I became completely comfortable traveling anywhere by myself and used the local transportation system which was considered to be "off-limits" by the white populace who couldn't fathom cramming into a mini-bus with fifteen strangers. One of my favorite experiences in the township was when I'd get a perplexing look from a passenger entering the bus who couldn't believe that a foreigner was aboard. Instead of being offended or upset as some would think; most riders were ecstatic to see that a foreigner wasn't afraid of living in a township and using its amenities. I soon realized that my time in the township of Khayelitsha was not only about educating myself on the trials and tribulations of township residents, but also about teaching those residents about my American culture and beliefs. Participation in these activities (riding local buses, accepting the local culture, and volunteering in the soup kitchen and pre-school) fostered a deep level of trust between me and the community members.

My experience in Khayelitsha will serve as an invaluable tool that I'll be able to utilize during my Peace Corps service. The ability to assimilate into a foreign community and be trusted by its members is not an easy feat to conquer. I successfully demonstrated that I'm capable of accomplishing this during my time in South Africa. As someone who has always considered himself open and welcoming to unfamiliar situations, Khayelitsha showed me that I was correct. Sometimes you aren't going to have hot water, electricity, family, familiar food, or the internet; it's the ability to adapt and function in such situations that sets one person apart from another.

WC: 482
Limit: 500
OP ljm9304 1 / 1  
#2

Pay Check

I can't remember a time when I didn't love my country and the values and principles for which it stood. Yes, we've had our ups and downs as a nation, but it's how we've responded to those downs that separates us from the rest of the world. The Peace Corps presents volunteers with an opportunity to share their American culture with people of a foreign nation. In doing so volunteers act as ambassadors of culture to both the people of country in which they serve and to the citizens of America when they return. Being granted the chance to serve in such a role would be an honor and a privilege.

The opportunity to experience another culture while sharing your own is something that I've made sure to include in my life. Two instances which stand out as examples of this are my time in South Africa and my time volunteering with Arizona Voice for Crime Victims. In both cases I was able to gain exposure to, and integrate into, different lifestyles which otherwise would have remained unknown to me, had I not participated.

The satisfaction felt after helping those in need can't be duplicated by even the largest pay check. Over the course of my life I've taken part in various volunteer opportunities; each and every one has proven itself to be rewarding regardless of whether I served a single person, a group, or the environment. After my potential Peace Corps service has ended my goal is to attend law school so that I can serve as a military JAG (lawyer), county prosecutor, or victims' rights attorney. All three career paths would allow me to serve those who have willingly or unwillingly sacrificed something in their lives.

Through my research of Peace Corps service I've learned that the experience is no walk in the park. Living by and accomplishing the Peace Corps core expectations will require both dedication and flexibility, two traits which I possess. Although I don't see myself struggling during my potential service, I believe goals one and three will prove to be the toughest to accomplish. Spending 27 months away from your family while living in a disparate situation will take its toll on anyone. However, developing a support system with the residents of your community should help to curb any problems which might arise out of home sickness.
ershad193 14 / 333 5  
Prompt 1

Since you have written on a pretty sensitive subject, try to limit your opinion. Although you have done a great job, there are parts where a slight opinion can be noted. For example, the "..off limits.." sentence.

Do you see what I am trying to say? While you are very rightly addressing the plight of the majority of the South African population, you seem to be ignoring the minorities, or the "white populace" as you say.

I would also advise you to include a bit more about the culture. I mean your essay pretty much talks about the problems faced by the communities across the country.

Think about a couple of points:

1) The food : did you like it? If not, how did you adjust?
2) Are women given the same status as men? How different or similar is it to your country?

Prompt 2

In your first two sentences, you are making an assertion which has no valid basis. Don't do that.

I like your second paragraph, though I am not sure about the first sentence.

I see that you have very specific goals...good

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Home / Undergraduate / My experience in Khayelitsha; Peace Corps - challenge and your success