Experience that has been a strong influence on your goals - Essay no.2

livia 2 / 1  
hi, it's livia again!
this is my second essay, please take a look at it as well, i need your advice.
thank you so much,
all the best!

Essay 2:

Describe an experience that has been a strong influence on the goals you have set yourself.

Motto: "Poetry is not the written text, nor the interpretation of the text, but the effect of the text upon the reader" (Adrian Urmanov)

On Monday, at 17.00 o'clock, my city can hardly bear the noise of the cars, the thrill of people, this accidental meeting of metal and flesh bodies on the streets. But every Monday at 17.00 o'clock, between January 2006 and February 2007, I have had a city of my own, inhabited by a vivid group of six people and the world/space that I have reached in that time was the one of poetry, films, music and tea. For the last year I have been a member of an unconventional literary circle, called "Alive Poetry". It has been a place that enriched me both as a future/potential poet and as a person.

It is strange and beautiful at the same time, when thinking that the name of this poetry workshop can be both translated as "Poetry in Life" and "Alive Poetry" and it is this vividness of mind occurring from poetry writing until now that, for me, is ineffable. It has been a year in which we met every week, we wrote and read poetry, we have seen films and talked about them. We have also shared our visions about what poetry can take from other arts and fields of study in order to bring people face to face with essential things about themselves and about the space that they inhabit every day. This particular need of people to find something about themselves and the need to belong to something is what we mainly discussed about.

Within our literary workshop, "Alive Poetry", we have tried to bring poetry closer to people, through public readings from both famous poets and our own lyrics, during the book fairs. We have also specially brought to "Bookfest" (book fair) ordinary plastic glasses with tea and some other objects but we transformed them, we gave them a new identity, by writing lyrics on them. It was not much, yet enough to see that people are sometimes afraid of receiving messages personally addressed and also afraid of less usual communication means. Therefore, I understood that poetry should reach people without letting them know it does that, like advertisements do every day.

One of my goals is to set up a community of young artists from as many countries as possible that would be willing to devote their time to bring poetry in the centre of different installations and performances. I want to bring poetry into the public space using my knowledge from the field of advertising in that of art. Ever since I have learned about terms as "elevator advertising", "guerrilla advertising", "out of home advertising", I have been thinking of making a simple, yet adventurous substitution. That is how and why potential concepts like "elevator poetry", "guerrilla poetry", "out of home poetry" came about so naturally and inspired me to think of spaces inhabited firstly by poetry and afterwards by people.

This community of artists that I am having in mind would be called "e l e v a t o r" and would stand for the idea that people are in need of poetry but they can only be reached in-between "floors" of perception and dispositions of retrieving a message. Therefore, the urban landscapes would provide these multi - layered types of places.

It is for sure that my interest in poetry has been set since long ago, but this particular intention to "stick" it to people represents a project, an idea, a feeling that only because of "Alive Poetry" has started having a shape.

My long term goal deals with identifying and continuously refreshing the means through which art, but especially poetry, can reach people. I can do this in the field of cultural management, but mostly continuing to write and to research what poetry can, actually, give people.
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

It's a pleasure to read another of your wonderful essays! I have only a few small suggestions and comments;

and the world/space that I have reached in that time - I like "world" :-)

This particular need of people to find something about themselves and the need to belong to something is what we mainly discussed about. - Delete the last "about"; consider changing it, though, to "was the main focus of our discussions."

Ever since I have learned about terms such as "elevator advertising", "guerrilla advertising", "out of home advertising",

This community of artists that I am having in mind - that I have in mind

It is for sure that my interest in poetry has been set since long ago, but this particular intention to "stick" it to people represents a project... - A couple of points, here: "...my interest in poetry was set in motion long ago..." Also, it may be different where you live, but here in the U.S. there is a negative connotation associated with "sticking it to someone." You might consider re-wording it to something like "make it stick to people." :-)

My only other suggestion is to strengthen your last sentence a bit, perhaps with some more of your wonderful metaphor.

Excellent work!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com
OP livia 2 / 1  
thank you very much for your help with this essay too!

best regards,
livia
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
It was my pleasure! :-) Good luck!!

Sarah

Home / Undergraduate / Experience that has been a strong influence on your goals - Essay no.2