'the experience of teaching seniors' - Stumped - Common App

thedarkknight 3 / 4  
I watched quietly as he scratched his head and looked around trying to make sense of the world around him. It was his first stay back for the Reading Program: a unique scheme that my school has started since last two years which provides seniors with the opportunity to help specially-abled juniors. Jay has minor dyslexia and hence he couldn't read or write as his classmates could.

When I first met Jay I had no idea what a huge impact this small child was going to have on me.
Although the first few months were difficult for me, and he had seemingly made no progress given his stubborn child spirit, he began to open up to new ideas over time. I sensed that understanding any work or aspect parallels to teaching a child. To achieve the goal of understanding I realized that I have to stick to it even when it seems to be of no avail. Thought the time spent on it might seem completely redundant, it contributes towards making the foundation of an accurate understanding of the world as a whole.

I have had the experience of teaching seniors from my class and I wanted to approach Jay is a similar fashion. However, soon I realized that it wouldn't work for him. This failure in my teaching strategy taught me that every new goal requires new planning and that I had to be an impartial observer to the past to learn from it. I couldn't risk being subjective if I were to learn from my past. I tried to employ the teaching methods that my teachers used and that failed too. Ultimately I did figure out a great strategy though in direct conflict with my beliefs: I was not used to giving in to student demand. But that was the only way out. It taught me that one need to be flexible to reach out to other. I had to unlearn old habits and learn new ones.

We both follow cricket. It so happened once that we got into a debate over the issue of runs scored and wickets taken. The debate ended with me telling him to start working and that I knew better. However I soon found out that he had been right. This small realization taught me to resist the temptation to judge and justify. I thought that as he was younger he couldn't know better.

Once, I asked him to sing for me. To my surprise he went up to the front and asked everyone to pay attention as he sang and danced through a complete Bollywood song. Suddenly I realized that there were so many instances that I had let pass by because I was afraid of failure and ridicule. I understood that 'it's better to have tried and failed than not have tried ever.'

Now, after about two years, Jay is a changed person. He can read and write(with some ease). We did change for good. I hope to stick to these beliefs and I do hope that newer experiences further help me to learn such valuable lessons.
soccerhoo1 3 / 4  
I watched quietly as he scratched his head and looked around, trying to make sense of the world around him . It was his first stay back for the Reading Program: a unique scheme? that my school has started since last two yearsago which provided seniors with the opportunity to help disabled/font] juniors. Jay has minor dyslexia and , hence, he couldn't read or write as well as his classmates could.

Although the first few months were difficult for me, and he had seemingly made no progress because ofgiven his stubborn child spirit, he began to slowly open up to new ideas over time . I sensed that understanding any work or aspect parallels to teaching a child. To achieve the goal of understanding I realized that I have to stick to it even when it seems to be of no avail. Thought the time spent on it might seem completely redundant, it contributes towards making the foundation of an accurate understanding of the world as a whole.

Home / Undergraduate / 'the experience of teaching seniors' - Stumped - Common App