Explanation on which department or program at MIT appeals to you and why

freezard7734 17 / 209  
I was wondering what MIT is looking for here? Is this the typical Stanford "Why is Stanford for you?" question, or are they asking why I like a certain topic (computer engineering, math, etc)?
andy_Z 3 / 6  
Hi, I have no experience about applying a program for undergraduate admission. However, I truly applied some graduate programs. There is no specific question like this for me when I applied. Instead, the graduate school just requires generally personal statement. However, IMHO, I believe the emphasis of your interest and some corresponding experience are strongly encouraged to be included in your statement. The above question you should answer is not "Why is MIT for you?", but "What is your interest? Do you have any experience to prove that? Which department or program you think is appropriate for you, and why?"

I hope it is helpful. And good luck!! ^@^
"Why is MIT for you?", but "What is your interest? Do you have any experience to prove that?

This is a great explanation, I think.

If I ask this question to 10 students, 8 of them do not have a very clear plan. It is okay if you are not sure what field you will enter, but you are sure of some things. And your favorite field of study is your favorite for a reason.

If I had to answer some essay prompts, this would be my favorite. It is great to envision your future and make a list of goals you want to accomplish during college in order to maximize your preparedness.
Kimathi 6 / 45  

Whereas that would be great, there is 100 word limit! :(( I am seriously getting fed up with all these limits!

I was wondering what MIT is looking for here?

I think to answer this you will need to use the same basis for the "Why is Stanford for you?" question in that you need to relate your ideas, goals, aspirations to the opportunities available at the school. The only difference is that you are comparing your academic vision to the particular program you want to enroll in, not the school as a whole. Addressing the specific reasons why that department is suitable to your interests (much like you did with stanford and sLork). Another major difference is that while our friends over at Stanford gave us 1800 characters with which t answer the question, the MIT adcomm were a bit frugal giving us only 100 words!!! :( *Bashes his head on the keyboard screaming "100 words!!"*
Whereas that would be great, there is 100 word limit!

Ever seen the movie Citizen Kane? Many think it is the greatest movie ever made. It has a theme involving the word "Rosebud." This word is full of meaning in the movie, because it it the word he utters before he dies. Everyone tries to determine if this word can somehow express the meaning of his whole life....

If you had to choose a word to express the meaning of your whole life, what would that word be?

Start from there. :-)
OP freezard7734 17 / 209  
Thanks to everyone who replied! Now I understand there prompt. Personally, I didn't like Stanford's version and didn't want to write another one of them -.-
OP freezard7734 17 / 209  
Alright. Here is my attempt at this prompt. Do you guys think this suffices?

"Hello, world!" The journey through unchartered pages of unfamiliar language left me a weary wanderer; my tired yet inquisitive mind warmly welcomed a whole new world. I was forever intrigued by its boundless frontiers; it houses a plethora of applications to entertainment and productive technology. In this Utopia, boredom is cured and idleness eradicated; there is no darkness but only the enlightenment of the mind. Within the fingertips, I can dissect the neuronal algorithms that give life to the glowing black box before me. My manifest destiny lies in the realm Computer Science and Engineering.

I'm not sure if this does the job...
Whole new world is a cliche.
I don't think this works: Within the fingertips

and....
I don't think utopia needs to be capitalized when used this way.

I like this sentence!--->

there is no darkness but only the enlightenment of the mind.
OP freezard7734 17 / 209  
Thanks for the comments.
Here is my second attempt at this prompt... Do you think it answers the question effectively, or does it seem more like a distraction? Just in case, I'm also working on another version and will post that also soon...

"Hello, world!" The journey through unchartered pages of unfamiliar language left me a weary programmer; I warmly welcomed the realm of Computer Science and Engineering. In this utopia, boredom is cured and...
Kimathi 6 / 45  
Though it is a brilliant essay, I don't think it accurately addresses the prompt. Where is the reference to MIT? You could've chosen to learn Computer Science and Engineering in a multitude of different schools. Why MIT? it is in this regard that this essay is similar to that of Stanford. It calls for specific reference to the MIT department.

I think. :)
I warmly welcomed the realm of--- I think you enter a realm and it can welcome you, but to welcome a realm seems strange.

It does rhyme in a cool, subtle way, though.

"warmly welcomed" is sort of cliche... arg, I guess I don't like it! Sorry to be difficult.

This world's rich algorithms will benefit our world.--- awkward! Nope, this little piece of writing does not reflect your real ability! Ha ha, breathe that crisp energy of inspiration, and begin again.

:-)
OP freezard7734 17 / 209  
I tried rewriting this essay. Here is the draft:

Given that I have only 100 words, I tried to fit my initial inspiration here... but I don't think I included references to MIT well enough...
Nice! They have to stand up and take notice of this. You are right, though. It'll be good to just... at least tell about the first few examples of practical empowerment -- some of the classes will be so awesome, and all you have to do is mention them in passing if possible... not the names of the classes, but the particular skills and concepts you'll master.
OP freezard7734 17 / 209  
Thanks for the advice! I tried to incorporate more the concepts I would like to master an MIT, but the word count is still constricting... I feel that if I cut any more out of the story before, my conclusion (which I feel is still very weak) would become out of place...

I tried my best to make the Gameboy sound as human as possible, giving it human attributes, to emphasize the artificial intelligence aspect of the story... Am I doing that alright?

When I was ten, my Gameboy was my closest companion; I caressed every scratch I found. One day, during an intense Pokemon battle, the screen dimmed and its life faded; scared, I naively demanded that my dad revive it through CPR. When my dad dissected the case, I was anxious to witness blood ooze out of its heart, but I only saw two bars my dad called "batteries." Feeling cheated, I dedicated myself to dissecting the neural power of electronics; MIT's DEECS robotics can help me uncover the secrets of electronics and supply artificial intelligence to the human need.
emphasize the artificial intelligence aspect of the story

Like always, I can only say what I would do to achieve this, and what I would do is not necessarily best, but... maybe you should consider replacing these words...

I caressed every scratch I found

...with some mention of AI. Mention AI at the beginning as something your ten year-old mind could not understand, and then mention it again at the end...

...power of electronics; (say something about being older now and knowing MIT's DEECS robotics program can help you to acquire a true understanding of AI.) me uncover the secrets of electronics and supply artificial intelligence to the human need.

I am not good at writing about this, because I don't know anything about electronics!! The point is that you can introduce the theme of AI in the first sentence and that will help the reader appreciate what you are saying about childish ideas of the Gameboy being a living thing...
cf1916 5 / 13  
you have to refer a little bit to MIT first. It can shows that you are answering the prompt.

Also try to show "WHY MIT?". You may choose others university if you like robotics program only. If you can point out why the program is so special at MIT, it will be much better.

In term of your content, it is a good essay.
bbdy123123 2 / 2  
you should post whatever interests you the most..!!

Home / Undergraduate / Explanation on which department or program at MIT appeals to you and why