"Exploring San Francisco and meeting people, Solitary Bus 2" -UC Prompt

w3ndiful 2 / 3  
Prompt #2 Tell us about a personal quality, talent, accomplishment, contribution or experience that is important to you. What about this quality or accomplishment makes you proud and how does it relate to the person you are?

The sight of colorful graffiti on the ceiling and the black old gum-ridden floor inside the bus slowly fades as I stare out the window and see masses of people and cars zooming by. The scenery outside creates a numbing sensation while the chatter of the strangers around me forms a monotonous buzz that is easily ignored. Just another typical day on the bus.

Having the freedom to take the bus by myself may seem insignificant and to admit that it hold great importance in my life may sound slightly pathetic. But past experiences have made me more courageous in going on adventures around the city, and more open to learning from others' and the knowledge they have to share.

Once on the bus, a middle-aged man boarded and sat straight across from me. Moments later, he pointed and began to converse. I felt hesitant in responding to a complete stranger but he seemed friendly and harmless. We talked about various cities ranging from San Francisco to New York and Chicago. Though a brief conversation, he told me about immigration life in New York and certain must see sites in Chicago while I reciprocated and told him about sites in San Francisco. I was disappointed to see him get off the bus several stops later for he had given me a history lesson and mental tour of several different cities all in a few minutes time, but felt very grateful nonetheless.

The buses also accompany me on my various adventures in exploring the diversity of the city. While most members of my family may want to constantly stay confined to Chinatown as they find places to dine and shop, I would much rather explore what San Francisco has to offer and the different cultures and cuisine. Bus rides provide me with personal tours of the city since a single bus ride in San Francisco passes through the various districts and reveals treasures hidden within.

Often times I pass through the city's Mission District on my way home and would not give it a second thought since it is such a usual sight. But I began to explore the district the laid back feeling of the residents piqued my interest more and more. I found quirky places like Emmy's Spaghetti Shack that serves huge meatballs that aren't meant to fit into any mouth with one bite, and a 30 feet slide wedged between two average houses.

Exploring San Francisco and meeting knowledgeable people would never have been possible without the assistance of the city's buses. Yes, they might be dirty, sticky, and possibly smelly, but they are the only way to truly experience and delve into a city with so much variation of culture and people meshed together.

thanks in advance for any help provided!
bananna_411 - / 2  
I feel like it's a little jumpy how it cuts from a descriptive story about the bus, to a more generic discussion about your bus transportation and then back to a story. I feel like it needs to flow more.

Also, I noticed one typo where you said ""admit that it holds great importance" .
But overall, I think it's a great topic choice, and you have good description!
vanessamhdez 1 / 2  
I agree with the first comment. My prompt had the same problem. I went back in forth to story mode. I like your idea of the buses. (I love SF) But It doesnt really hit me hard why its so important to YOU and how its made you YOU.

Home / Undergraduate / "Exploring San Francisco and meeting people, Solitary Bus 2" -UC Prompt