"exposed to an array of leaders" - Cornell ILR Supplement Essay

kevin4082003 1 / 2  
School of Industrial and Labor Relations:
Describe your intellectual interests, their evolution, and what makes them exciting to you. In your essay please address how the ILR curriculum will help you fulfill these interests and your long-term goals.

As a child, I was constantly exposed to an array of leaders: Harry Potter, Buzz Lightyear, and even Barney the dinosaur was a leader. Everywhere I turned, all the famous names, whether real or fictitious, were associated with someone who was a leader. Naturally, I idolized this ideal and it became my ambition to become a leader.

It began in fourth grade when I joined Cub Scouts. I walked into my first scouts meeting and there was Andrew Wu inviting me to join Cub Scout Den 3. He was a Den Chief, a Boy Scout with the job to guide Cub Scouts in their weekly activities. With each passing event, I admired him more for being an open-minded person. Above all, Andrew always kept a keen perspective on any matter presented before him. Following his example, I became a Boy Scout and eventually a Den Chief.

From that point, I eagerly looked for leadership opportunities. This led me to running for student council in 7th grade and I became my middle school's 7th grade representative. As I carried out my duties of attending meetings, voicing peer opinions, and planning logistics for school activities, I noticed something. Being a leader is not about holding a prestigious position or putting on as many school events as possible, but rather, interacting with those you lead.

High school was when I found out what actually having responsibilities for others really meant. As class president for two years, I oversaw many projects, but one that was illuminating was the privilege of directing a class skit production for our high school homecoming. Among other tasks, we assembled an acting cast, sewed a 15 by 90 foot backdrop out of hotel bed sheet donations, choreographed multiple dances, and much more. Experiencing this with my class allowed me to grasp the importance of teamwork and how it can determine the success of a common goal.

I am different; I changed from wanting to become the likes of Peter Pan to wanting to become like Andrew Wu. Whether it is simply answering a question for someone or planning school-wide events to enliven the school climate, I have always enjoyed helping people. What better way to fulfill my passion than to pursue a B.S. in Industrial Labor and Relations? I am confident that the ILR School will help me develop my skills in management and policy analysis, which prove crucial in undertaking imminent problems of society and creating change for the future. The well-connected community at Cornell and around the area of Ithaca and New York provide many advantages for students like me to expand our interests, such as interacting with leading scholars in their respective fields, participating in civic engagement projects, and ultimately cultivating a multidisciplinary approach to resolving social problems. I plan to exploit these extensive opportunities with hopes of continuously relating to others and further my knowledge in becoming a better leader as a Cornell Bear.

Any criticism is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
turntablespp 6 / 41  
Very well written, but a few grammer mistakes.
"-As a child, I was constantly exposed to an array of leaders: Harry Potter, Buzz Lightyear, and even Barney the dinosaur was a leader . "

"-It all began in fourth grade when I joined Cub Scouts."
"- This led me to runningrun for student council in 7th grade,and I becamemaking me my middle school's 7th grade representative."

" I plan to exploit these extensive opportunities with hopes of continuously relating to others and furtherfurthering my knowledge in becoming a better leader as a Cornell Bear."

can you read mine?

Home / Undergraduate / "exposed to an array of leaders" - Cornell ILR Supplement Essay