'exposure to my parents agony' - UC PROMPT # 1 response

Yoh 2 / 6  
hi,
please give me any comments, criticism or anything you please :)

prompt # 1

As a kid, I have grown seeing my mom say no to any sugary or chocolaty foods. It is after years I realized how mom was a slave to type II diabetes. Seeing mom eat tons of medication my entire life and follow a special diet, has always made me depressed. Behind my mom's smiling face I saw her grief and I firmly decided that I need to find a permanent cure to diabetes. [so that she can also enjoy the food like I do]

Since I kept this dream hidden from my parents, I was unsure of how to achieve this goal when I started. Soon in my elementary school I got exposed to science, which not only turned out to be my favorite subject but also introduced me to diseases and their cures. Feeling a little closer to my aspiration, I continued loving the class and doing independent research through books and internet.

As I got into middle school I got exposed to Biology. Through biology I learned more about cells and other intricate details that I was able to relate to my goal in a better fashion.

As I got into high school I had wide variety of science courses to choose from. So I tried various different courses to see which brought me closer to achieving my dream. Eventually, I decided to take biotechnology, a course that not only introduces modern scientific techniques for manipulating genes, but also taught the inner workings of cells and how they can be exploited. Utilizing the skills I acquired from my independent reading and research, in my Biotechnology class, I was able to setup and carry out various experiments much more effectively. At the end of the course, considering my performance and dedication for the subject, my teacher nominated me for an exclusive summer biotechnology program at a local community college. Over the next two summers I designed experiments to check for green fuel, synthesizing biodiesel by various methods and worked on cell cultures, sequencing DNA, and plant biotechnology. Although these projects were not easy, such challenges prepared me for greater challenges I dreamt of pursuing.

The exposure to my parents' agony and my desire to discover a cure for this distress inspired me to become a biotechnologist. By researching and conducting further experiments with the latest available technologies I want to add my name to the list of scientists who have prolonged human health. I want to be a scientist who will find cure to diseases so that no other child will ever have to see their loved ones in pain.

The exposure to my parents' agony and my desire to discover a cure for this distress inspired me to become a bio technologist. By researching and conducting further experiments with the latest available technologies I want to add my name to the list of scientists who have prolonged human health. I want to be a scientist who will find cure to diseases so that no other child will ever have to see their loved ones in pain.
tinkerbellcutie 3 / 2  
I don't think you should include classes from middle school. UC's are more interested in knowing what you have done throughout high school.
OP Yoh 2 / 6  
okay thanks!!

Home / Undergraduate / 'exposure to my parents agony' - UC PROMPT # 1 response