Extracurricular Activity Common App Essay - Debate Team (1000 words)

Slothgrip 1 / 1  
Prompt:

"Please briefly elaborate on one of your extracurricular activities or work experiences in the space below"

Here's what I have, it's 997 characters (out of 1000), criticize it as much as you please. Thanks!

"Despite the fact that I have been a member of the debate team for slightly over a year, the time and energy I have invested into it have revealed themselves most prominently through the skills I have been able to acquire. Policy debate is a competitive style of argumentation in which validity of evidence, critical analysis, and speed of delivery all contribute to the judge's vote. Outside of the debates, the team taught me invaluable research, time management, and collaboration skills as I worked with my partner to discuss strategies for future rounds. During the tournament, my partner and I debated furiously, building up skills and endurance as we often debated for over twelve hours in a single day. We won our first tournament, and I was able to establish valuable networks with judges from all over the country. The satisfaction of participating in such a demanding exercise that I sincerely enjoyed made debate the most exhilarating and rewarding experience of my high school career."
DMA17 8 / 31  
Phew! Made it by the skin of your teeth!! hahaha a little humor for the night

Superb!

I liked it alot! I don't know, if you'll understand what I mean when I say this, but you write with purpose. I don't know if its because of the word limit but I think you used each sentence well; they all worked together to bring across your point clearly.

As for errors I see none.

Great job again!
OP Slothgrip 1 / 1  
Thanks mate, I'll take a look at your as soon as I get a chance, I've been kind of busy lately so sorry for the slow response. Are you sure there isn't anything you would suggest I change? Any glaringly obvious mistakes in terms of strategy?

Home / Undergraduate / Extracurricular Activity Common App Essay - Debate Team (1000 words)