extracurricular activity essay - First Aid Squad

ishfish82 4 / 11  
I'm looking for any help on how to make it more personable. Comments or suggestions at all?
Any help is much appreciated! Thank you so much for taking the time to read this.

"44-year-old female-difficulty breathing-history of CHF"
These are the familiar tones that alert me to a call and beckon me to a Liberty Corner First Aid Squad ambulance. I am a 17-year-old female-history of sugar highs at the age of 8-high school gossip addict, and state certified Emergency Medical Technician-Basic. It is my duty to provide emergency care and transport to all patients in need. I am entrusted with a life on every journey between "field" and hospital. My fellow adult EMTs count on me to fulfill my role with a skill equivalent to theirs, as there is no distinction between teenage and adult volunteer.

No other position is available to a teenager of such gravity and that requires such emotional maturity. And no EMT enters into this position already in possession of those qualities. They are an outcome of the EMT experience.
dmanguru 1 / 7  
I liked how you included details as to your posititon as an Emergency Medical Technician-Basic and I thought it was a good opening. The problem I see you having is that you are trying to substitute in mature vocabulary for emotional appeal. I understood exactly what you were saying it's just that it felt like I was reading some sort of article about someone else and not you. My suggestion for making it seem more personal would be to include some words that appeal to the emotional rhetoric. Maybe you could say something like "It was an enlightening, and heartfelt experience" or "I had a passion for the life-saving duties I partook in" or something along those lines. Instead of giving a job description, which is what it sounded like in certain parts, write as if you were telling an "educated" friend as to what you do, and not some stoic admissions director who lacks all feeling. Also some word choices like "female" strike me as a little too formal, but that's just me. Other than that, nice essay intro!
I like the intro, and I like the ending. You did a cool thing with the history of sugar highs and a gossip addiction. I think you should be confident in this. I can't find a single unhelpful sentence, and that makes it great writing.

No other position of such gravity is available to a teenager; emergency medical response requires real emotional maturity. --- just an idea.

Put a period at the end of that first line after CHF.
:-)

Home / Undergraduate / extracurricular activity essay - First Aid Squad