Extremely opinionated - Tell us about who you are. UBC application essay

temiajare 2 / 5  

Tell us about who you are

As a teenager, being asked to describe yourself can be the easiest question to answer. It can also be the hardest. On several occasions, I have been driven to sit down and decide who I want to be. But I have not given much thought to who I am right now. Not because I do not have a character. But owing to the fact that it is difficult to cram multiple facets of a human being's character into one word, or sentence, or even essay.

The majority of my teachers would describe me as extremely opinionated and I always seek an opportunity to voice these opinions. In my opinion, this is one of the reasons I excel at debating.

Most of my family members view me as a bookworm. I love to read books and write books. My all-time favourite book is Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen closely followed by the Twilight Saga by Stephanie Meyers.

My friends would describe me as the mother of the group. I have an especially protective instinct when it comes to my friends and I always advise them.

I am especially proud of the relationships I have forged with people everywhere I find myself and my ability to express my opinions.

Any and all feedback is welcome.
This prompt in particular asks you to look at yourself with a critical eye, from the point of view of others. Describing yourself, based on your understanding of yourself is not part of the discussion. The reviewer wants to get to know you from the point of view of others. Your family, should be able to speak of your character as a person, based upon how you were raised. Hence their point of view will be about your character development. Your friends, will be the recipients of your character, based upon how you were raised. So they should be able to see you and describe your character based upon a social setting. Your community members, can be any of your teachers, who can speak of your diligence as a student, your respect for the Honor Code, or the like. You can also choose the leader of an organization you are a member of outside of school who can speak of your civic mindedness.

You are not referring to something that you are most proud of in this essay, which is an important part of the discussion. What do you feel you excel at and why are you proud of that achievement or character? Base the response on how your parents and other people view you. This is a character discussion essay. The reviewer wants to find out if you are the kind of student who can add to the credit of the student community and why. Your response does not reflect upon those requirements.

Discuss, do not just give short responses. The reviewer will not get to know you through superficial and curt responses.
Mazid1989 1 / 3  
This really a creative writing to express Who you are. But, from my point of view, this is not the way to answer the question " Describe yourself?" your answer should include how you feel about yourself, not by others and what are your very personal character, skills, hobby, interest, passion that you feel you have.
OP temiajare 2 / 5  
@Mazid1989
I appreciate your contribution. The question was "Tell us about who you are. How would your family, friends, and/or members of your community describe you? If possible, please include something about yourself that you are most proud of and why." So I thought the essay should reflect more on how others see me and not really how I see myself. What do you think?

Home / Undergraduate / Extremely opinionated - Tell us about who you are. UBC application essay