'My eyes / Film and ASL / Music and pictures' - NYU supplement

louieylove 2 / 20  
These are my supplement essays for NYU. Please overlook them and tell me if I should change anything.

What intrigues you? Tell us about one work of art, scientific achievement, piece of literature, method of communication, or place in the world (a film, book, performance, website, event, location, etc.), and explain its significance to you.

I could hear the howl of the wind as I sat on the wood plank, letting the cool breeze fill my lungs and take over my senses. The sounds of the trees singing in harmony left me in sheer amazement. My eyes never seemed too strong, but looking up at the blackness of the immense sky, I could see all the constellations talked about in story books. Their outlines, which always seemed foreign to me, appeared visible for the first time in my life. A calm feeling washed over me as I took in the night sky. In the distance I could hear the waves, lash against the weak sand in a strong protest to the pull of the moon. And if I listened hard enough, a current of air would carry the sound of the wild Corolla horses galloping on the beach in the night, enjoying their freedom. That night sky became my happy place over the years and each time life got hard, I would reminisce about that beautiful night sky accompanied with a feeling of serenity.

Why NYU?
Google pulled up another list of colleges, has I reached my second hour of searching. Annoyed wasn't the word I was looking for, more like irritated. Out of the ten schools I looked at, they all seemed the same. Ready to quit, I searched the screen for the red "X" that I grew accustom to over the last few hours. As the mouse moved up the screen, a purple torch caught my eye. "New York University..." I thought, the third best vegan college in the whole country. I clicked on the link and was brought to the homepage where purple overtook the screen, I was intrigued already. I hunted for the "Student Life" tab; the page was overloaded with diversity and I started to get giddy with excitement, "Could this really be my school?" With my fingers crossed, I typed in American Sign Language. Something came up, and I clicked on it with such eagerness, I almost missed it. At last, a course list. "They really have it", I squealed. That was when I knew I had to apply. None of the other colleges even recognized ASL as a language, nonetheless had a minor in it. ASL holds a special place in my heart and I always want to be a part of that community. Two of my true loves are in a common place,film and ASL, while veganism and diversity is the norm; NYU is my school.

Regardless of whether or not you have an intended major or concentration, please elaborate on an academic area of interest and how you wish to explore it at NYU's campuses in New York or Abu Dhabi or at one of our global academic centers around the world. Please share any activities or experiences you have had that have cultivated your intellectual interests leading you to choose to study at the NYU campus of your choice.

Growing up without cable left a lasting impact on my affection for films. I never really understood the context of most of what I was watching, but honestly, that's not why I watched it. Movies have always been beautiful to me; just the simple creation of it all. I was one of those kids that would constantly rewind the VCR just so I could see the portrayal of the scene through the actor's eyes, and the replay it again to see it through the director's eyes. But above all, the storyline has become my favorite part. An amazing storyline could either make or break a movie and I grew to understand that with my growing admiration for independent films. There is something so pure and humble about indie films that just makes me want to be apart of that elite group of filmmakers. Pursing a degree at New York University's Tisch School of the Arts would be like coming home from a long trip. I know it's were I belong because it's about making movies there and not about all the fancy effects and CGI you can do; just the simplicity and loveliness of an amazing story portrayed by music and pictures on a screen. There's no other school in the world that could understand that importance like Tisch.

Any feedback is appreciated, this is due today so please help me out!
chalumeau /  
I don't know if it's enough to get you into NYU, but here's what I could do with your words. Overall, the essays were clearer and more focused. I enjoyed reading about your version of the night sky (although it sounds familiar somehow?) and your love for ASL. The "Why Film" was still a little weak. Sprinkle some names in the paragraphs.

I still think you should use your design ability somewhere in your application. It really really doesn't make sense to me.

Graphic design sounds like a great career too, so it sounds as though you have two great options. It's what I call the win-win situation. That doesn't happen too often in life.

What's with all the NYU essays?

OP louieylove 2 / 20  
You've been an immense help and I understand your lack of faith in me. My stuff is average to me and I wish I could of really done more. It's no excuse but since it's my last semester, everything has been really hectic and If I didn't good do on my marks then it would of been no point for me to even apply anyways. If i could use my design ability, then trust me I would. But the only think film and print design have in common is the movie flyer. Graphic design is indeed my fall back but I wanted to do something different and I have always love film, I honestly want to be apart of that. I have a friend who invited me to work on a documentary with her, so if NYU doesn't work out, I will reapply next year in hopes of getting in after better experience.

Your asking me to give up, and I can't because this is what i want and I haven't felt so strongly about something in a long time, so I have to run with it.
chalumeau /  
I bet the documentary would help so much.
I remember spending several months preparing for an audition
in my high school years. I found out later that the judge hated the
composer I chose and that they practically never took anyone the 1st time around.
You may have what it takes to make it. I wish you the best.
(I'm really happy that you're not a creep--you were really freaking me
out there.) :)

I just thought maybe you were great at drawing, so the storyboard (isn't that sequential scenes and all?) would be more your thing.

You never know there are many great documentary films. When is the last time you took an English class?
A Writer's Reference by Diana Hacker is a good reference. I like it b/c the book has tabs.
OP louieylove 2 / 20  
The documentary would probably help.
Thank you for your encouraging words, and no, i'm not a crazy, lol.

I'm alright at drawing, when given time. But I can't just whip about this amazing storyboard in two hours, I need a bit of time and have to be in the drawing mood. There are great doc films, last time i took english was Summer semester, and it was online. I'll look into the Diana Hacker book.

Home / Undergraduate / 'My eyes / Film and ASL / Music and pictures' - NYU supplement