'U.S. failed to secure a decisive victory to end the conflict' - Georgetown SFS essay

dylanpreston123 2 / 3  
The Afghan War began on October 7, 2001. Since then, many things have happened, but the U.S Armed Forces, like Alexander the Great and Russia before it, have failed to secure a decisive victory to end the conflict it is involved in. With a withdrawal not scheduled until 2014, the war will cost many more billions of dollars, and more importantly, young soldier's lives. The only hope is some sort of treaty with the Taliban, which may be on the horizon.

The Taliban, a militant group who had power in Afghanistan until 2001, has been bitterly fighting the United States and as it's Western Allies for over 11 years, and has allied itself with Al-Qaeda, but that all could change very soon. While the Taliban has previously agreed to negotiate peace talks only when all U.S forces are pulled out of Afghanistan, it now has began to go through the channels in order to open a liaison office in Qatar. And while the Taliban have asked for the release of Afghan prisoners at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba, it may be well worth it because if all is agreed upon, the Taliban would renounce violence, break ties with their ally Al-Qaeda and abide by the Afghan constitution.

The United States government as well as all involved in the conflict would be negligent in the handling of the war if these peace talks were not pursued further. Both sides would benefit from the talks and while President Karzai of Afghanistan was against the first peace talks, he has come out expressing a desire to see the peace talks through as long as he and the Afghan people play a primary role in the event. The turning point of the war could not be a battle but rather a discussion, and this could lead to the end of the war and the saving of American and Afghan lives.

The peace talks are perhaps one of the biggest steps in ending the War on Terror in Iraq, Afghanistan, and across the Middle East since the killing of Osama Bin Laden, and may be the answer to solve the puzzle of obtaining a victory in Afghanistan and the War on Terror.

366 words

please tell me if it is long enough
apidjakfar 2 / 12  
Hallo Dylan

To tell you the truth, I really have no idea what is main point you want to convey? I would say that you have to focus on main idea and then try to support it through your argument.

Good luck
Apid
ItsokaytoGaga 15 / 96  
Hey Dylan,
First of all, I echo to what the first comment says. What's the topic or focus of your essay?
Regardless, your argument seems strong. You seem very knowledgeable in current world issues. Great! :)

Could you please look over both my threads? I could really use some more reviewing of my essays. Thanks a lot!
Good luck!

Home / Undergraduate / 'U.S. failed to secure a decisive victory to end the conflict' - Georgetown SFS essay