"It's all about faith." - Personal Essay for Help

SeriousStudent 3 / 9  
Faith

Why did a slim boy who had never been on the court choose to play basketball? Did he try it just for fun? Did he wonder if he would like it? Did he just want to attract girls?

Or was it something to do with faith?

I was standing beside the court, staring at those sweaty basketball players, thinking about what my friends had told me when I entered middle school: "There are only two ways to be outstanding in this school. You have to have great academic scores or great basketball skills." I was a shy boy who wanted to shine; I chose to play basketball.

But when I asked the players if I could join them, I received scornful glances that said: "You don't belong here, bookworm!" I tried to play anyway, even though I was numb and silly on the court, bursting into laughter after every stupid fault. I was so embarrassed I thought I would have to quit, but my dream of success would always propel me back on to the court.

It was hard for me at first to obey the rules of the game: I was supposed to pass the ball to one of the "big guys" as soon as I received it, not shoot it myself, or try a breakthrough, because "I couldn't do that," and "I should be a team player." I learned quickly to act as part of the team, but I also practiced moves (like crossovers) on my own for hours afterwards. (And when a space opened up in the game, I would try for a three-point, despite the angry faces I saw when I didn't pass the ball.)

Through persistence, I learned that the joy of basketball lies not in merely winning a game or getting one beautiful shot, but in the feeling of satisfaction that comes from devoting my all to one thing I love. I enjoyed shooting the ball hundreds of times till nightfall; I enjoyed feeling courageous when playing with much better players. And then one day I finished a sharp breakthrough and made a difficult lay up, I heard one of those "big guys" whispered: '"Wow, I didn't know he could do that!" The thought that the other players were changing their minds about me replenished my motivation.

Two years later, I am a skilled member of the varsity team, and others watch me from the sidelines the way that slim, shy boy used to do. My success on the basketball team has led to my achievements in other areas: academic competitions, school clubs, Model United Nations, school council. My life in basketball has taught me a critical lesson: Overcoming difficulty has really nothing to do with success.

It's all about faith.

I've been struggling with this essay for some time, but I really don't know how is this essay...
Please leave me some comments or suggestions. Thanks a lot!
danielleross14 - / 2  
This essay is very motivating. I enjoyed reading it, and think it was very well written. :)
zealzou 11 / 54  
This is the version after the Profesor had revised it for you?...
mmmargarita 10 / 79  
Good job so far, you have a very interesting story to tell and your style kept me engaged.

A few tips:

I learned quickly to act as part of the team, but I also practiced moves (like crossovers) on my own for hours afterwards. (And when a space opened up in the game, I would try for a three-point, despite the angry faces I saw when I didn't pass the ball.) The parenthesis take away from the formal feel of the essay and make it almost fragmented. You could remove them and it would be fine.

My success on the basketball team has led to my achievements in other areas: academic competitions, school clubs, Model United Nations, school council. Elaborate on this a bit. How exactly did your success in basketball help you acheive success in those other categories?
OP SeriousStudent 3 / 9  
Thanks a lot for your tips:) They're helpful! Especially the second one~

I'll revise it~

Home / Undergraduate / "It's all about faith." - Personal Essay for Help