I'm from a family that attends church every SundaUnitarianism Scripps/environment

bzn456 2 / 2  
Hi this just needs some line editing and grammar things
Prompt: Describe the environment you come from-family, community, and/or culture-and tell us how that has helped to shape the person you are or want to become.

I come from a family that attends church every Sunday. We are Unitarian Universalists. The congregation is united not by ideas forced upon us, but the common search for spiritual growth and understanding of faith. In the Unitarian equivalent of Sunday school, we spent most of our time learning about other religions, visiting temples and synagogues. The emphasis was not on defining Unitarianism but exploring what it could mean. The study of other religions culminates in a coming of age called the Challenge program. In ninth grade I was picked my favorite adult in the Church, my teacher, Janet, to advise me. I spent a year exploring my spirituality and writing a thesis on my belief, be it Unitarianism, Judaism or Kabbalah. At the end of the year, I presented in front of the church, a literal "This I Believe Essay." My thesis was "my faith is like a tiramisu" unable to peel apart the delicious layers of my faith and the essence was that I wanted to stick with Unitarianism.

My journey to this conclusion has made me who I am. I came to my own decision to affirmed my belief in the core principles of Unitarianism. My journey is reflected in the principle of promoting "a free and responsible search for truth and meaning," but after beginning my journey in haste, I am at temporary peace, slowing down to celebrate the affirmation of "justice, equity and compassion in human relations." I have taken steps as the leader of our church youth group to promote environmental justice within our congregation and the larger community. Unitarians recognize the injustice that American's produce the most greenhouse gas yet due to our resources, are most immune to the effects of global climate change. Unitarian Universalism has made me the advocate for those who feel the brunt of injustice in today's world.
jakk1994 2 / 22 2  
"In ninth grade I chose Janet, my most trusted adult figure in the church, to be my adviser "

Pretty good message

Home / Undergraduate / I'm from a family that attends church every SundaUnitarianism Scripps/environment